Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Short REECE Build To Be Suppressed Soup To Nuts Feedback Please

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    If I understand, based on your parts choice, you’re looking to put together a short-barreled, precise, suppressed, magnified package.

If that’s the case, I’ll give my opinion. Your parts list seems fine. This is what I’d do.

Barrel - Criterion CORE or BRT EXC (sold out now)

BCG - Sionics NP3. Or, BCM, Colt, Centurion, SOLGW

Upper - VLTOR MUR-1S

Handguard - Anything. If it were me, and I didn’t care about mounting an aiming device on the handguard, I’d go as light as reasonable. I happen to like CMT’s options. I think a BCM KMR (original) is also a great option if you can score one used. Centurion CMR. ALG EMR. VLTOR had some going for cheap recently. You can get fancy on this, but I think most people may worry more than necessary about it. I’m still tempted to try out a LaRue upper/handguard combo, though.

Gas Block - Riflespeed, if you are willing to spend the money; looks like a solid way to adjust gas to me. If standard, BCM or Centurion, though there are plenty of good ones.

Buffer System - Eh, less important if you get the gas system right. A5 apparently has “envelope” benefits that I am not good enough to notice. But the standard receiver extension is fine. With buffers, don’t simply go heavier. A5H2, H2 are baselines and probably fine with a suppressor…again, if gassed rightly. Just an opinion. Might even be able to go twithoo H1 if you can dial down the gas when suppressed.

On suppressors, if for the same gun…for those options, you’re going to need to choose either/or, not both.
    First, thanks for your help. Yes, you basically nailed the config I'm going for.

Yes, the barrel seems to be the biggest problem for me right now if I want to go adjustable.

I've been very interested in the BRT barrel, but they never seem to be in stock. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can get an idea when they will be in stock again. I'll look into the Criterion.

If the consensus is that a Mil-Spec BCG is fine for this project, I'll just use one of the extra BCMs I have.

I've been using Vltor MUR 1As, for important rifles. But I wonder, does anyone have anything bad to say about the Mega MML? I don't think they are made anymore, but I snagged the one I have, 12", from Rainier last fall with this as a pistol project project in mind. I'll use the MUR or the MML most likely.

On the hand guard, funny you should mention old BCM rails, I have an original KMR (aluminum-magnesium?) I kept after changing to Mloc. Its very very light but a little brittle for a hard use rail.

Anyway, I need a sturdy hand guard/rail because I have a BRICK DBAL that I may or may not use, and it needs to keep zero. So I'll study your suggestions.

I've heard of Riflespeed, and like the idea of gas adjustments on the fly, I'll look into that. Otherwise Superlative I think.

I think you are right, good point If I can get the gassing right, buffer weight importance diminishes. Although, the buffer needs to have enough spring and weight/mass to overcome grime and cold weather situations.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 454308 View Post
    Can't go wrong with any of the barrels mentioned. I've had 1 12.5" rifle and it was mid length from Ar15performance. Super smooth and 0 issues suppressed with h2 buffer. Currently I use an 11.5" triarc trac 2.0. I'm impressed enough with triarc I also built a 16" with their barrel, but as another member stated you already have a solid 11.5 upper. I'm not sure the little gain you'll get going to 12.5 is worth the cost.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. The 11.5 is for close home defense, it will likely run a red dot, my DBAL, and a Surefire RC2

Now that that I'm out of Commiefornia, I'm building and obtaining what I want, taking advantage of Idaho's amazing gun laws. Or lack of gun restrictions. Constitutional carry, no license needed, unless I want to have the Deluxe Idaho carry license with the benefit of no background check needed for purchases, and reciprocal agreements with other states. Everything that's Federally legal is legal here. I can keep my gun loaded in my car! Yay. Freedom finally! The best part is guns are OK here, everyone has one or many. THEY SELL AMMO AT THE HARDWARE STORE! I remember those days in the 60's and 70's before it was called Commiefornia. I digress.

So, money is mostly irrelevant for this build....This is my FREEDOM build. Short and suppressed! But not too short, because I've been studying barrel length vs. velocity and what it will do for, or to you, in an AR. Also, reliability of an AR as the barrel becomes shorter. I think John Noveske was probably right pointing to 12.5" as the 'do all' compromise.

You do gain a little, probably the most from 10.5 to 12.5, with that last inch being important for velocity. IIRC

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Adjustable gas blocks and other gas mitigating features may not be necessary and/or may even cause problems depending on how your barrel is gassed. Probably worth adding Criterion, Hodge, and Triarc barrels in there for conisderation. Noveskes have been way overgassed for a long time IME and based on various reports. I'd pick Hodge way before Noveske.
    Good points all. Yeah, I think Hodge is an FN similar to the Noveske. The problem is how to obtain one. They are rarer than hen's teeth, I think the saying goes. I think that Hodge would be one of my top choices on a short list.

Anyone know how I may obtain a Hodge Defense 12.5" barrel?

I did a cursory peak at Triarc with more to learn, but I don't think they do a 12.5". I'll look at Criterion again.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd call Monty at Centurion and give him my credit card number. Which is what I already did.

Then I just added a Vortex 1-10X Gen III MRAD, a Cloud WML and a ThunderBeast can.

Stupid accurate, runs like a scalded dog, and is not horribly heavy, either.
    I'll look into that, but my understanding is that the barrels have been hard to obtain. I guess a phone call is worth the effort. I've seen good things posted about Centurion, but every time I checked they were OOS. Maybe if I reach someone directly I can find out whats available.

Thank you much for the suggestion.

Did you order a complete pistol/rifle, and upper, or just a barrel and parts?
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Good points all. Yeah, I think Hodge is an FN similar to the Noveske. The problem is how to obtain one. They are rarer than hen's teeth, I think the saying goes. I think that Hodge would be one of my top choices on a short list.

Anyone know how I may obtain a Hodge Defense 12.5" barrel?

I did a cursory peak at Triarc with more to learn, but I don't think they do a 12.5". I'll look at Criterion again.

Thank you
    OPTactical has Hodge 12.5s right now. They pushed a big shipment out in the last several weeks because OPT, Weapon Outfitters, and some others have had barrels in stock for a while.

Triarc does a 12.5 midlength. Recommend going to Primary Arms to buy that barrel. I think it’s oos now but they get more every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Edit - You said you are set for a Mil-Spec BCG.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-30-22 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    OPTactical has Hodge 12.5s right now. They pushed a big shipment out in the last several weeks because OPT, Weapon Outfitters, and some others have had barrels in stock for a while.

Triarc does a 12.5 midlength. Recommend going to Primary Arms to buy that barrel. I think it’s oos now but they get more every so often.

One thing that may be worth noting with the Hodge, his BCGs aren’t anything crazy IIRC, but they are nitride coated. I think I’ve read somewhere that was to reduce friction and increase reliability with such a small gas port so if your hoping to shoot .223 unsuppressed, may be at least worth looking into around here and other places.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd call Monty at Centurion and give him my credit card number. Which is what I already did.

Then I just added a Vortex 1-10X Gen III MRAD, a Cloud WML and a ThunderBeast can.

Stupid accurate, runs like a scalded dog, and is not horribly heavy, either.
    This is an underrated option.

I'm going to probably have to turn an ammo fort into dunnage to actually manage to be anywhere near the capability of my existing Centurion barrel hardware, and for this application, that would fit.

I'd still probably rock the adjustable gas block even if it lives loctited into place once dialed in. A5H2/Sprinco is right, that lower should be pretty dialed. I wouldn't underestimate the utility of a fairly basic 11" thin handguard system, trimming weight that's about the only option without serious performance downsides, especially since an LPVO is going to make it a slightly bulky setup to present rapidly.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    On BCGs, I'm probably the least helpful, TiN coated is pretty logical, spending more on this area isn't really a bad idea, but practically I've had pretty excellent results with just running them wet and calling it a day. The entire notion of an AR 'pooping where it eats' is mostly hyperbolized tripe, but on a suppressed SBR, it's actually slightly relevant, especially if you plan to run it minimally gassed. This is why the A5H2 to me is the right answer, that opens up the operating window a fair bit on ways that are really positive.

If dedicated suppressed, a brake as the attachment mechanism is also high on my list - cheap ablative first baffle that is easy to replace is always going to be a high priority for me - even my functionally deprecated OPS hardware, the brake setups are absolutely mint in terms of not gunking up the cans completely, that brake does a truly incredible amount of work in terms of absorbing spallation from unburnt powder
    Last edited by TehLlama; 04-30-22 at 08:27.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    …that brake does a truly incredible amount of work in terms of absorbing spallation from unburnt powder
    Side bar here, but how many ports/chambers on the brake? I’ve looked at micro/single chamber to minimize weight, but curious how much of a difference it can make in protecting the suppressor baffles. I can make another thread if needed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast