Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Short REECE Build To Be Suppressed Soup To Nuts Feedback Please

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    OPTactical has Hodge 12.5s right now. They pushed a big shipment out in the last several weeks because OPT, Weapon Outfitters, and some others have had barrels in stock for a while.

Triarc does a 12.5 midlength. Recommend going to Primary Arms to buy that barrel. I think it’s oos now but they get more every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. I found the site and Hodge barrels. Would you guys recommend an adjustable on the Hodge? I'm thinking adjustable may not be necessary. They say their gas port is for high pressure ammo and suppressors. They recommend a SLR micro block (non-adjustable).

I need to look into Centurion too, OPTactics has 425 Hodge barrels in stock, so I can do some more research.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    One thing that may be worth noting with the Hodge, his BCGs aren’t anything crazy IIRC, but they are nitride coated. I think I’ve read somewhere that was to reduce friction and increase reliability with such a small gas port so if your hoping to shoot .223 unsuppressed, may be at least worth looking into around here and other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I prefer to use a BCG that was designed to work with the barrel/gas system. I'm not going with a non-milspec BCG, even from Hodge. I'll keep the thing wet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’m building a similar upper. I bought a hodge barrel and ale gas block.

For a rail I’m taking a 13” smr and cutting it down. I mocked it up and if you cut the first section of mlok off it will fit perfectly

I have a RC2 and RC2 mini. I’m interested to try them out and see which is better. People seem to love a mini can on a 12.5” so I’m interested to try it out.

BCG will likely be an LMT enhanced. I have I new geiselle special bcg, but I think the carbine gas barrel should have a LMT enhanced carrier.

I plan on it as a dedicated suppressed upper so I’ll use a surefire muzzle break.

Geissle charging handles have been great for me in terms of gas blowback, the government model is my goto charging handle these days. Gas blow back is noticeably better than a raptor for instance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    This is an underrated option.

I'm going to probably have to turn an ammo fort into dunnage to actually manage to be anywhere near the capability of my existing Centurion barrel hardware, and for this application, that would fit.

I'd still probably rock the adjustable gas block even if it lives loctited into place once dialed in. A5H2/Sprinco is right, that lower should be pretty dialed. I wouldn't underestimate the utility of a fairly basic 11" thin handguard system, trimming weight that's about the only option without serious performance downsides, especially since an LPVO is going to make it a slightly bulky setup to present rapidly.
    Hmmm, I'll be messing with the buffer system anyway. A5 is good .

I have to try to keep it a reasonable weight.

I really like the feedback on this forum.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    On BCGs, I'm probably the least helpful, TiN coated is pretty logical, spending more on this area isn't really a bad idea, but practically I've had pretty excellent results with just running them wet and calling it a day. The entire notion of an AR 'pooping where it eats' is mostly hyperbolized tripe, but on a suppressed SBR, it's actually slightly relevant, especially if you plan to run it minimally gassed. This is why the A5H2 to me is the right answer, that opens up the operating window a fair bit on ways that are really positive.

If dedicated suppressed, a brake as the attachment mechanism is also high on my list - cheap ablative first baffle that is easy to replace is always going to be a high priority for me - even my functionally deprecated OPS hardware, the brake setups are absolutely mint in terms of not gunking up the cans completely, that brake does a truly incredible amount of work in terms of absorbing spallation from unburnt powder
    This is very interesting to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I’m building a similar upper. I bought a hodge barrel and ale gas block.

For a rail I’m taking a 13” smr and cutting it down. I mocked it up and if you cut the first section of mlok off it will fit perfectly

I have a RC2 and RC2 mini. I’m interested to try them out and see which is better. People seem to love a mini can on a 12.5” so I’m interested to try it out.

BCG will likely be an LMT enhanced. I have I new geiselle special bcg, but I think the carbine gas barrel should have a LMT enhanced carrier.

I plan on it as a dedicated suppressed upper so I’ll use a surefire muzzle break.

Geissle charging handles have been great for me in terms of gas blowback, the government model is my goto charging handle these days. Gas blow back is noticeably better than a raptor for instance.
    ALG gas block?

I'd be interested in your experience with the RC2 and Mini.

I'm learning that the pistol lowers are a little problematic, so I'm going to put this project on hold until I figure that out.

I'm not sure, I have an LMT Enhanced in a box, and have one in a 16" rifle. I'm not sure its needed with the Hodge Defense barrel because of the small gas port. I think I would start with a Mil-Spec, and then try the LMT E if you feel you need the slightly delayed unlocking the E carrier gives you. IMHO. Otherwise, all the LMT E group gives you is a better engineer bolt (IMHO), which is nothing to sneeze at. BTW LMT Enhanced bolt extractor springs don't look standard so I bought a set of spares for mine.

The Geissele RBCG is a BCG with a forged Carpenter 158 bolt I believe. It is slick with the DLC coating too. I have one in my Geissele pistol, but I haven't shot it yet, my bad. I would think that might be a good fit with the Hodge barrel.

I plan on using the Geissele CH (because I have a couple extras) or the Radian Raptor with the gas relief built in. I must do more research.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Your wont need an adjustable gas block with a Hodge as long as you get the smaller gas port. This would be my prefered barrel at that length.

My hodge build here - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-Do-All-Rifle. The heart of the rifle is the barrel.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I read this thread numerous times as I was putting together my 12.5" years ago. Although a lot has changed in the AR world since it was originally posted, I recall there being a lot of good info in there.
    Maybe it will help you as well...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...essed-SBR-Ever

I ended up with a BCM 12.5" carbine upper, LMT enhanced carrier with BCM bolt, Vltor A5 system with Sprinco green spring. It wears an Aimpoint T2 with a Sico Omega can and eats Wolf steel case ammo with no issues.
    I'm sure it's overgassed so I do intend to get with Clint to get a BRT reduced gas tube and switch that out at some point. Again, the gun runs well as it is but I think I could soften it and make it quicker back on target with a bit of tinkering.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by sva01; 04-30-22 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What I did a few years ago sounds about like what you're thinking, OP:

12.5" Noveske carbine-length barrel with pinned low profile gas block- this is an older barrel from around when John Noveske was still alive. I haven't used any of the newer stuff so I can't compare to current offerings.

MUR forged upper- theoretical benefits of less receiver flex

Laure 11" rail- this rifle has a DBAL and lights so I wanted strength and Geissele doesn't make an 11" rail.

Centurion BCG

Not sure as to the gas port diameter but the gun is typically used with a Surefire RC2 (occasionally a Mini) and runs very smooth with 62 grain Gold Dot. Gas-to-the-face is minimal (BCM charging handle).

Standard lower with a Colt LPK, SSA, A5 receiver extension with A5H2 buffer and BCM rifle spring and Magpul furniture.

T2 in a Bobro mount with Aimpoint 6x magnifier. My PVS-14 has an Aimpoint Twist-mount ring so I can swap it instead of the magnifier if need be.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 04-30-22 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dang it. I'm having irrational urges to replace my perfectly fine 11.5" RGP barrel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast