Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011s in LE Use

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

2011s in LE Use

I do find it somewhat remarkable that Staccato has been able to take the 2011 from a competition handgun into one that's almost main stream for LE.

Here is a recent AmericanRifleman.com article that mentions 500+ departments allow the 2011 for police use:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...p-optic-ready/

I'm curious about the numbers. I assume 99% of the guns being carried are personal purchase with only the best-funded SWAT teams buying for team use. Groups like USMS and probably LAPD SWAT.

Anyway, the big point to discuss is the real (or imagined) benefit the 2011 has over pretty much everything else out there. Is the $2400 price tag worth it or are we just talking status symbol?

And where is Wilson Combat in all this? If Staccato can re-invent the 2011 for police use can't Wilson Combat make inroads into the same market with the SFX9 and the EDC X9L? Don't these guns swim in the same market space?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 09-01-22 at 04:36.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yeah. Most are authorized for personal purchase.

Is the $2400 worth it? First, Staccato has a good guy program so that takes a chunk off and gets you a few extra mags. Second, is it worth it compared to a Glock? I’d say no. Is it worth it compared to other 2011 platforms? Yes. Absolutely.

Wilson can’t compete here. They’re hand built guns. Staccato has kind of unlocked the ability to mass produce the 2011 in a reliable format. Staccato also hit the size profile just with with the 4-4.5” barrel length. The EXC9L is a 5 and frankly, is just too long for a street cop duty gun. The shorter version has no rail for WML. Wilsons are also not factory ready to accommodate slide mounted optics which are blowing up in the LE world. There are higher capacity 1911s for the leather paddle holster world.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Staccato has kind of unlocked the ability to mass produce the 2011 in a reliable format.
    Are they not hand built? I guess there are levels of what "hand built" means I suppose.

It is also somewhat puzzling that, aside from Staccato, nobody else is trying to compete in this market. Para went under with Remington but I assume someone else bought the name. Is there no chance for the P14, 16, etc? Also pretty surprised that Ruger isn't making a hicap based off the Caspian frame. Maybe not something anyone would want in the LE world but it might be a good option for other markets.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-01-22 at 10:41.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Are they not hand built? I guess there are levels of what "hand built" means I suppose.

It is also somewhat puzzling that, aside from Staccato, nobody else is trying to compete in this market. Para went under with Remington but I assume someone else bought the name. Is there no change for the P14, 16, etc? Also pretty surprised that Ruger isn't making a hicap based off the Caspian frame. Maybe not something anyone would want in the LE world but it might be a good option for other markets.

Staccato are not gunsmith fit hand built like a Wilson is. A Wilson takes about 40 hours for one smith to build last I heard. Staccatos lower half is polymer now. They’re built, not crafted.

The mega company’s like Remington and Ruger aren’t advancing the market. They focus on volume, not product development. They need to have broad appeal and 2011s aren’t there yet. Competition shooters are a pretty small market. LE is bigger but government funded and major quantity purchases of $1800-2400 guns aren’t happening.
    Last edited by ggammell; 05-01-22 at 10:41.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Staccatos lower half is polymer now.
    As the STI frame was since its inception.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    As the STI frame was since its inception.

First gen of the staccato had aluminum grips, as many other 2011s do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Staccato seems to have taken a lot of input to make a very reliable and technically affordable quality gun...little things like the sights, barrel, recoil, grip all come together in a decent package.....

I am not LE but I couldn't believe how well I shot with mine out of the bag..
    And some folks want to pay for that bit of an edge.....

Around me I only heard of a few depts that auth personal guns...most are a quantity buy due to caliber and platform...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Our SWAT guys can buy the Staccatos for duty. From what I've heard they run really well.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Our SWAT guys can buy the Staccatos for duty. From what I've heard they run really well.
    Who handles maintenance for these officers? A local Smith or??

Feedback Score
    I've shot them enough to be hooked. This is in no way shape or form your grandpappy's 1911. I'm going "all in" on this platform for full and mid size. I'm really debating selling my P226 Legion now and just having the Stacatto as my full size option. As Greg Bell mentioned another thread, it's hard to beat a properly functioning 1911/2011 for speed and accuracy. The Stacatto out of the box has been flawless so far.

I'd have loved to had this Stacatto option when I was kicking in doors. The 3.9" C2 will shoot faster and more accurately than my full size Sig Legion P226. It will shoot s good as my full size Beretta 92X which has been SOLD to finance a Stacatto. If a little 3.9" barrel will do that, I can't wait to explore the full size version.

So far, the customer service and support from Stacatto is top notch.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast