Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011s in LE Use

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Lol I never heard of the SR1911 as being upper entry level. But I guess that's true if you're including the Filipino and Turkish imports.

Ruger does sell a more custom model under the Doug Koenig label. It is quite expensive. Not Staccato expensive howver...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Well, I’m not a 1911 aficionado, but glad you were amused.

Not ready to spend Dan Wesson money and doubt I’d go beyond that price for a Wilson or a Nighthawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice!

Honestly this wouldn't be a duty piece for me but I'd still likely opt for the aluminum frame version just to shave a tiny bit of weight. I'd definitely go this route if it was a daily carry / duty gun.

Having the steel, full cover 4.15 version, I can definitely attest that it is a hefty little chonk! LOL
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I would submit that Staccato has sold more $2,000 pistols in the past four years (since the change in management at STI) than any other company has has in history.

Cops get 15% off retail and volume orders (agencies and group buys) get more. The optic cut guns can be had for sub-$2000 this way and the iron sight ones closer to $1500.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Well, I’m not a 1911 aficionado, but glad you were amused.

Not ready to spend Dan Wesson money and doubt I’d go beyond that price for a Wilson or a Nighthawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant no disrespect and apologies if my previous post came across that way.

I personally like Ruger 1911s and think the gun is a good value for the money. Do they cut some corners with MIM parts and stuff? Sure. But even then the MIM parts they use seem to hold up okay and are not too hard or costly to replace if desired. Hammer, sear, disconnector, etc can be bought from any number of places if desired after the fact.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I work at a small dept of about 40 officers. We have two carrying Staccatos right now.

A deputy in the county over is a Staccato rep, and has done a damn good job putting tons of them into holsters across Northern Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Our SWAT guys can buy the Staccatos for duty. From what I've heard they run really well.
    Just another mostly curious type of question. How well does the Staccato magazine retain the top round?

Historical practice to clear a failure to extract is to rip the mag out of the gun (discard or keep) and allow the slide to jump forward. Then cycle the action a couple times and then reload the pistol. Somewhat depending on the mag and design of the pistol (or instructor dogma) locking the slide open may be the first step.

More recently we've seen a couple different techniques. One is to rip the mag either partially or wholly out of the pistol. This allows the slide to jump forward. Mag is immediately re-inserted and the slide is then cycled. This seems to work well with Glock and also anything else that has a mag that securely retains the top round in the mag.

Sort of a variant of the above is to mash the magazine release while aggressively racking the slide a couple times. The removable of the tension of the recoil spring on the round trying to feed combined with the pressed mag release allows the mag to drop free. Racking the slide a couple times clears the chamber. Then a new mag is inserted and the slide is racked one more time to load the gun.

The 2nd and 3rd technique may not work with some guns (1911 for example) where the feeding round ends up halfway between the feed ramp and the mag feed lips. But the 2nd and 3rd techniques are generally faster.

So has anyone tried these various things with the Staccato? Which of the above works best? Or a fourth technique perhaps?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/S3-Xe-1guxo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/S3-Xe-1guxo

Good video....

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I've had no issue with Staccato magazines on the remove-reinsert-rack remedial action drill.

It is not uncommon for the top round to be pushed forward in the magazine due to the tube being designed around a longer cartridge, but I haven't found it to commonly be so significant that the round is ahead of the front strap of the magazine.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

So has anyone tried these various things with the Staccato? Which of the above works best? Or a fourth technique perhaps?

I just took an intermediate pistol class yesterday and we covered clearing malfunctions. We set up double feeds and failures to extract (simulated as a spent case hand placed in the chamber with a live round trying to feed in right behind it). In all cases it was no problem to rip the magazine out, cycle the slide, reinsert the mag, cycle the slide again to reload and go. It is possible to skip the first cycling of the slide (rip mag out, reinsert, cycle the slide) as the case ejected everytime, but I did it anyway.

Only hitch I can see is that the top round is sometimes partially extracted from the magazine when it's removed from and could interfere with reinsertion. I would usually quickly push it back in with the index finger of the hand holding the mag before I reinserted.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    GENERALLY the front round being pushed forward will not be an issue. It pushes forward while the magazine is in the gun, so it will not extend past the front strap of the magazine since it is limited by the frame. If it slips forward further during magazine removal, it will generally not be far enough that the frame doesn't just push it back upon re-insertion.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast