Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11-87?????

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    I don't use one. If I can't shoot a variety of loads through a shotgun without misfeeds or cycling problems then I have no use for it.

Mine would not cycle light loads, which is fine, I realize that it was not built for that. I sold it just the same.

I am talking about an 11-87P here. YMMV and that's good. I do wish Remington would update their gas system to something like the Benelli Inertia or the Browning/Winchester/FN gas type. The Berettas are nice too but have had their issues.
    I'd like to cheer for an American (owned and operated) firearms manufacturer when it came to a well built and versatile semi-auto shotgun (built here).

That's all I'm saying when I say the Remington gas system is outdated. They should improve it or replace it 'cause the competition is eating their lunch when it comes to s/a shotguns.
    My 11-87 Premier will digest everything from Winchester Featherlights to 3" magnums with 100% reliability.

If the 1100/11-87 gas system is not to your liking, the Remington 105CTi's does not rely on an o-ring.

Feedback Score
    My 11/87 police runs with bird loads on up without issue (have not run super light loads so could not comment on them). I replaced the o-ring every 5K, but only because someone recomended it to me not because I was having problems. I am not sure as to all the posts I see that say the gas system has issues, (mostly posted by people that don't own them).

Feedback Score
    No problem with my 1187 police either. runs great.

J-

Feedback Score
    Howdy! - first post here, been lurking awhile.
    I'm a gunsmith by trade who works on LOTS of 1100s & 11/87s - not because they break a lot, but because they're incredibly common in my AO. I'm frankly AMAZED by how fouled these weapons get before their owners complain of malfunctions. Often we're talking thousands of rounds of dirty shooting bargain ammo with no real lubrication before they start to choke. I test the overhauled remmies with 1&1/8 oz dove loads & have NEVER had one need a stiffer charge to get one to function reliably. The design has been improved & updated numerous times over it's history & to Remington's credit, all the improvements are retrofittable to the older 1100s.
    I've got nothing against the Berettas, Benellis & Super-X2 actions, & I'd gladly do battle with a sound A-5 at hand, but the recent Remingtons run great with just a lick & a smile. The barrel seals do wear out after thousands of rounds, but I usually see a lot more of them split by owners due to improper assembly than actual wear.
    A poorly maintained pump is a better fighting weapon than any poorly maintained auto shotgun, but a reasonably maintained 11-87P is a serious piece of ordinance!

Feedback Score
    BuckshotTX thank you, sir for bringing up the venerable Browning A-5. It is in the same class as the 1911.

Bit of history: A-5's were one weapon of choice on the Son Tay raid.

I know the A-5 is an anarchism and almost collectors item these days, but I was raised on the old all-steel Belgium Brownings. My trust in this weapon is strong and the manual-of-arms is virtually muscle memory/reflex.

Did a lot of deer hunting in SC swamps with a Browning and buckshot. Rough conditions, but with even minimal maintenance never had one, nor saw one fail.

Acknowledge the argument that in certain combat conditions (e.g. sand), a pump is better. But in typical home or civilian applications the A-5 is a good solution.

Stay safe

PS- the racking of a pump sends a strong message, but with bolt locked back and flipping the mag cut-off of an A-5, a round chambering is the same message: Ready, Willing, and Able.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies.There is a lot of good and interesting takes on the 1187.Mine is actually a special purpose and has yet to fail me in the duck blind ,which can get very nasty or turkey woods.I do however keep my old Ithica dearslyer ready for home defence along with a Winchester 94 trapper(16"brl) .44 mag.The sound of a slide or lever being actuated does have it's psycological effect

Feedback Score
    LDM,Love the old A-5's too.I even put a lot of rounds through a Remington M11 in the rabbit woods when I was a kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12