Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot the mile on Saturday and H-Atips

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Shot the mile on Saturday and H-Atips

My buddy Pablo wanted to go out and test the water with his 300wm at the mile. I didn't bring much of my 300WM ammo but Mark had loaded some very hot 225 ELD's so I started with those. Thought those very hot 225 ELD's would be the same DOPE as my old Atip DOPE which was 17.4mils. I got on in 4 shots.

My DOPE from before was 17.4 mils with 230g Atips, Saturday I was on at 17.2 with 225 ELD's. Then I later tossed the Atips thinking it would be the same, but they ended up being about a mil less. There is something to those Atips even though they cost a small fortune. They help at extreme distances.

My Bergara in 6.5CM got me on with 21.0 mils with 140 ELD's. Which I think is pretty impressive. I was scaring the shit out the target getting wind bucked left , right, left, right then finally getting on. It was harder because I started at 24.5 mils and was shooting over the mountain on my first few shots and spotting misses once I dropped my DOPE was harder to see misses with smaller bullet and mirage was awful. But I got on so bingo!

My buddy Paul got a first round hit after I gave him the DOPE then missed the next 4 on wind. Mark popped the mile shot too without much difficulty once our DOPE was dialed in.

It was fun to get back out after the mile, even though mirage and wind were less than ideal. Pretty cool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man that temperature change really makes a difference!

When I was out with you our DOPE for the 6.5s were 24.5 mils (I think your 147s were 24 mils even ), but that was in January with temps in the 60s.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is exactly right, its crazy how everything gets exaggerated once we get past 1,300. I guess you could say that from 600 yards on out. I was surprised.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How big is the target? I’m guessing 24 or 30 inches.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That looks like a great time. Well done!
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    How big is the target? I’m guessing 24 or 30 inches.
    HUGE. Like 36" It's ridiculous, but good for 1 mile.

The A tip load needs some development. Seems like the ELDs had greater consistency.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We have a target beside it that is 24X24 inches. Perfect for 1,300 yards. Can hit from mile. But you can see most of those would have been missed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What optic are you using? I don't think I could hit a mile shot with the hubble! Great shooting, sir!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nightforce ATACR 5-25 and we usually have it pushed down to 17-20 due to mirage. Surprisingly, you don’t need super high mag scopes. I doubt I would ever buy their 7-35 they make, just mirage is only issue. You could get there with a 3-15 quality scope.

It’s amazing what can be done with a 4X ACOG or 4X Elcan.

PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast