Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SOLGW COMBO DRIVE GRIP SCREW

Feedback Score
    Got the SOLGW grip screws in today.

Here are a few pics compared next to a Damage Industries slotted grip screw and a Magpul grip screw.

Damage Ind. screws are 1" in threaded length and have a head diameter of 31/64.

Magpul screws are 3/4" in threaded length and have a head diameter of 31/64.

SOLGW screws are 7/8" in threaded length and have a head diameter of 15/32

I can say that they are NOT made by the same manufacturer that makes the Magpul screws. The Magpul screws seem to be a higher quality screw and they are heavily magnetic. The SOLGW screws just barely attract a magnet which makes me think they are not made from 4140 steel as described.

The screwdriver bits that fit the best with these three different types of screws are the same... From the Wheeler Engineering kit, slotted bits (608-712) and (699-539) and hex bit (309-156).

What I don't like about the SOLGW screws are that they are not a full inch in threaded length as described. They are not heavily magnetic. They get tighter as you thread them into the grip screw hole, not overly tight, but they aren't the same through the whole depth of thread engagement. Not a fan of the slightly smaller diameter head compared to the other screws mentioned, but it's not a big deal. Lastly, there is a bit of flashing or a raised burr from cutting the flat head drive slot that interferes with the hex bit seating all the way into it's drive slot. Though it can be pushed through and these screws are certainly usable, I won't be making them my standard for the reasons noted.

So I'll be sticking with the Damage Industries slotted screws that I've been using, but I very much doubt the origins of anything coming from them lately.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 06-12-22 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Got the SOLGW grip screws in today.

Damage Ind. screws are 1" in length and have a head diameter of 31/64.

Magpul screws are 3/4" in length and have a head diameter of 31/64.

SOLGW screws are 7/8" in length and have a head diameter of 15/32

I can say that they are NOT made by the same manufacturer that makes the Magpul screws. The Magpul screws seem to be a higher quality screw and they are heavily magnetic. The SOLGW screws just barely attract a magnet.

The screwdriver bits that fit the best with these three different types of screws are the same... From the Wheeler Engineering kit, slotted bits (608-712) and (699-539) and hex bit (309-156).

What I don't like about the SOLGW screws are that they are not a full inch in threaded length as described. They are not heavily magnetic. They get tighter as you thread them into the grip screw hole, not overly tight, but they aren't the same through the whole depth of thread engagement. Not a fan of the slightly smaller diameter head compared to the other screws mentioned, but it's not a big deal. Lastly, there is a bit of flashing from cutting the flat head drive slot that interferes with the hex bit seating all the way in it's drive slot. Though it can be pushed through and these screws are certainly usable, I won't be making them my standard for the reasons noted.

So I'll be sticking with the Damage Industries slotted screws that I've been using, but I very much doubt the origins of anything coming from them lately.
    I recently bought some 2 1/2" long 1/4 X 28 screws from McMaster Carr to make "extended" pistol grip screws to use with my NcStar buffer tube jig, I discovered the same thing. Full 1" engagement got tighter and tighter as it threaded in where a Colt screw did not. I returned those screws and bought more expensive ones and 7 of the 10 in the package would thread in smooth, the other 3 were not. Something abut quality of threads at this 1/4 X28 size that vendors seem to struggle machining.

What you describe would seriously bother me, thus I continue on using the Colt screws that thread in butter smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    I recently bought some 2 1/2" long 1/4 X 28 screws from McMaster Carr to make "extended" pistol grip screws to use with my NcStar buffer tube jig, I discovered the same thing. Full 1" engagement got tighter and tighter as it threaded in where a Colt screw did not. I returned those screws and bought more expensive ones and 7 of the 10 in the package would thread in smooth, the other 3 were not. Something abut quality of threads at this 1/4 X28 size that vendors seem to struggle machining.

What you describe would seriously bother me, thus I continue on using the Colt screws that thread in butter smooth.
    Glad I'm not the only one to notice that! I've considered ordering 1/4 x 28 screws from McMaster, but I've had hit and miss experience receiving Chinese made screws from them in other sizes. Though I dislike slotted head screws I haven't had any real issues with the Damage Industries pistol grip screws and as you noted, the Colt screws are a very high quality screw as well. The only reason I keep sticking with the Damage Ind. screws is because of their large diameter head and 1" inch threaded length. The Colt screws are a bit longer so they don't work well with Magpul grips and protrude into the lower.

I wanted to include a Colt screw for my comparison pictures, but I currently have none in my inventory.

Feedback Score

I wanted to include a Colt screw for my comparison pictures, but I currently have none in my inventory.

Preban or postban Colt stuff?

And then, past that you have to consider the particular 'series' of Colt parts...

If you are seriously considering comparing a 'real deal' Colt grip screw with some stuff from 'wherever' - You need to be more specific about the 'exact' Colt grip screw you are talking about.

They may 'look' the same on the outside but there is no freaking way that the grip screws on my Expanse series Colt stuff are / is as good as what you get on a regular 6920.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Preban or postban Colt stuff?

And then, past that you have to consider the particular 'series' of Colt parts...

If you are seriously considering comparing a 'real deal' Colt grip screw with some stuff from 'wherever' - You need to be more specific about the 'exact' Colt grip screw you are talking about.

They may 'look' the same on the outside but there is no freaking way that the grip screws on my Expanse series Colt stuff are / is as good as what you get on a regular 6920.
    The last Colt grip screws I had were take offs from a 2009 production 6940 and a 2012 production 6720. Years later I ordered a Colt grip screw through Brownells and noted that it was about 1/16"th shorter than the take off grips screws, but other than that it was the same. The Colt screws are just short of 1"-1/8"th of threaded length. And the head diameter is on the small side, similar to socket head cap grip screws, but just a hair larger. The smaller diameter heads are not really compatible with the external toothed lock washers that they are typically used with.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The last Colt grip screws I had were take offs from a 2009 production 6940 and a 2012 production 6720. Years later I ordered a Colt grip screw through Brownells and noted that it was about 1/16"th shorter than the take off grips screws, but other than that it was the same. The Colt screws are just short of 1"-1/8"th of threaded length. And the head diameter is on the small side, similar to socket head cap grip screws, but just a hair larger. The smaller diameter heads are not really compatible with the external toothed lock washers that they are typically used with.
    Dont laugh to hard when you read this. Last week I just bought a new Colt CR6960 with mid length gas rifle new in box from dealer. It came with a shiny black aero precision pistol grip held on by a Magpul screw lol. I replaced those parts with the correct Colt parts. I have seen these Colts come with these new shiny black pistol grips before, but still had the correct Colt screw. This is the first new in box Colt I have seen with a Magpul pistol grip screw.

Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 06-22-22 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    Dont laugh to hard when you read this. Last week I just bought a new Colt CR6960 with mid length gas rifle new in box from dealer. It came with a shiny black aero precision pistol grip held on by a Magpul screw lol. I replaced those parts with the correct Colt parts. I have seen these Colts come with these new shiny black pistol grips before, but still had the correct Colt screw. This is the first new in box Colt I have seen with a Magpul pistol grip screw.
    Sad to see that.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if MAGPUL makes that grip?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Holy cow!

What in the heck is going on over there with the Colt assembly line? Isn't that about a 1/4 inch (or less) of thread engagement with that grip and screw combination? Lol!
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 06-23-22 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Wonder if MAGPUL makes that grip?
    I believe it's made by P&S products like the M4 stocks that are shipping on Colt rifles. Damage Industries sells the same ones.

I have 3 of the real Colt chalky A2 grips that are now collectable I guess.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast