Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SOLGW COMBO DRIVE GRIP SCREW

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Holy cow!

What in the heck is going on over there with the Colt assembly line? Isn't that about a 1/4 inch (or less) of thread engagement with that grip and screw combination? Lol!
    I told you not to laugh lol then you did just that.

I dont know who makes the grip I just refer to it as an Aero Precision because it is 100% identical to what comes in their lower parts kit, but P&S sounds good, going to roll with that, oh well, the rest of the gun was perfect out of the box.

Yes it also had, ............note had, a P&S cage code stock.

A while back Clyde Armory had a bunch of new in sealed Colt packages Colt Chalky gray grips with 1" Stainless screw and lock washer, I bought about 6 lol.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 06-23-22 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Still?!?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    I told you not to laugh lol then you did just that.

I dont know who makes the grip I just refer to it as an Aero Precision because it is 100% identical to what comes in their lower parts kit, but P&S sounds good, going to roll with that, oh well, the rest of the gun was perfect out of the box.

Yes it also had, ............note had, a P&S cage code stock.

A while back Clyde Armory had a bunch of new in sealed Colt packages Colt Chalky gray grips with 1" Stainless screw and lock washer, I bought about 6 lol.
    It's funny, I don't mind the P&S M4 stock, but those shiny commercial looking A2 grips are cringe worthy. They don't feel bad in the hand, but it just makes an AR look cheap. I hope Colt goes back to the chalky A2 grips even if it devalues my collectable small stock of 3.

Personally, I'd rather have an Anderson logo on the side of a receiver than one of those shiny, P&S A2 grips... Now try not to laugh too hard about that.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 06-24-22 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Still?!?
    #allfastenersmatter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Still?!?
    This thread needs at least 5 more pages. So I am going to go to my local mom and pop hardware store this weekend and buy some socket head 1/4 x 28 stainless screws and post pics in here. Should I go for 1 inch of threads or will 7/8 do? I might even get some star washers to go along with them for fun. Stand by.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    This thread needs at least 5 more pages. So I am going to go to my local mom and pop hardware store this weekend and buy some socket head 1/4 x 28 stainless screws and post pics in here. Should I go for 1 inch of threads or will 7/8 do? I might even get some star washers to go along with them for fun. Stand by.

Go for 1" inch... And if you're dead set on socket head cap screws, then pair them with a half inch diameter flat washer and skip the lock washer.

Most importantly, be sure to avoid local hardware store fasteners just in general. They are usually of dubious origins and their quality is not to be relied upon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    It's funny, I don't mind the P&S M4 stock, but those shiny commercial looking A2 grips are cringe worthy. They don't feel bad in the hand, but it just makes an AR look cheap. I hope Colt goes back to the chalky A2 grips even if it devalues my collectable small stock of 3.

Personally, I'd rather have an Anderson logo on the side of a receiver than one of those shiny, P&S A2 grips... Now try not to laugh too hard about that.
    Ha Ha I went to Clyde Armory today and they had 7 more Colt chalky gray grip kits in stock for the paltry sum of $6.95 each, I almost bought all 7 but left with what I need to fix all my latest purchases. And all 3 kits came with Stainless grip screw and washer included you can see in picture. Price can be seen on the top right corner of the right grip.

Brownells prices today are $13.49 for the grip, $4.99 for the lock washer and $7.49 for just the screw lol. Almost 26 bucks for all 3 parts from Brownells. Got all 3 parts for less than 7 bucks each kit, Clydes must have priced them wrong lol. I should have bought all 7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 06-24-22 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Ha Ha I went to Clyde Armory today and they had 7 more Colt chalky gray grip kits in stock for the paltry sum of $6.95 each, I almost bought all 7 but left with what I need to fix all my latest purchases. And all 3 kits came with Stainless grip screw and washer included you can see in picture. Price can be seen on the top right corner of the right grip.

Brownells prices today are $13.49 for the grip, $4.99 for the lock washer and $7.49 for just the screw lol. Almost 26 bucks for all 3 parts from Brownells. Got all 3 parts for less than 7 bucks each kit, Clydes must have priced them wrong lol. I should have bought all 7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Clyde Armory selling these on their website?

Yeah, I've seen the prices on Brownells and considering you get the rebranded P&S A2 grip it's no deal.

I think I'm set with my three Colt chalky A2s since I only plan to use one for an upcoming M16A2 "clone". The other two will just go into storage for potential future use.

I would have stocked up if I could have gotten that same price you got though... That was a steal!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Definitely 1 inch of threads.....otherwise, you're asking for failure!!

You should be able to apply the proper amount of torque with the socket head....just need a long socket (or extension) and a torque wrench. I really should have done this years ago. I guess I've been living on the edge.

Feedback Score
    A few things about screws:

1. Star-type lock washers don't really do much to "lock" the screw in place. In testing plain washers are just as effective at preventing unwanted rotation.

2. The grip screw should be some type of corrosion resisting material.

3. When a thread is places in tension, the first five threads carry 99.9% of the load. The remaining threads don't do much, which is why most nuts only have four or five threads. A one inch bolt with 1/2 inch of threading is a bit of an over kill, especially with little lateral loads.

4. I am surprised this type hasn't come up yet: https://www.smithtitanium.com/produc...50-28-1000-ft/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast