Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Artillery

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Is it just me or do any of y'all have the queasies over what's going to happen with all the high-tech shit we're sending when they get into the wrong hands or used against us/allies, or used against the civilian population?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know everything is open sources these days but knowing exactly what they are getting and how many seems like an OPSEC fail to me. Where does that all get listed and does it occur those listing it that maybe that's not for public knowledge? Those are amazingly exact numbers...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Is it just me or do any of y'all have the queasies over what's going to happen with all the high-tech shit we're sending when they get into the wrong hands or used against us/allies, or used against the civilian population?
    Its a real concern.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    It takes a damn good crew to run a triple 7 efficiently let alone a battery.

I don’t see them being proficient with any of these systems in any short time.

Best bang for the buck would probably be the MLRS
    Oh, I have no doubts trainers and a few "advisors" will be about to assist with getting them up and running.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Being a way out of date 13E, we had M109A1's, I can tell you that for on time on target with first round hits you need all the bits and pieces including MET. But we used to practice hip shooting using the M16 mortar plotting board, pull off the tank trail rough lay in and get the rounds close enough for the observer to adjust. I can only imagine that with modern inertia and gps positioning and computerized fire control that will be way easier and much more accurate today. And I don'y know how long before they are committed to the fight but Ukraine is alreay getting SPG's. Plus in wartime unless friendly troops are danger close you don't really care where the first rounds go as long as you can observe, we will need a discussion on drone use pretty soon.

-20+ M109A3GN 155 mm (Norway)
    unk M109??? 155 mm (Italy)
    unk AS90 155 mm (United Kingdom)
    unk Panzerhaubitze 2000 155 mm (Denmark)
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Being a way out of date 13E, we had M109A1's, I can tell you that for on time on target with first round hits you need all the bits and pieces including MET. But we used to practice hip shooting using the M16 mortar plotting board, pull off the tank trail rough lay in and get the rounds close enough for the observer to adjust. I can only imagine that with modern inertia and gps positioning and computerized fire control that will be way easier and much more accurate today. And I don'y know how long before they are committed to the fight but Ukraine is alreay getting SPG's. Plus in wartime unless friendly troops are danger close you don't really care where the first rounds go as long as you can observe, we will need a discussion on drone use pretty soon.

-20+ M109A3GN 155 mm (Norway)
    unk M109??? 155 mm (Italy)
    unk AS90 155 mm (United Kingdom)
    unk Panzerhaubitze 2000 155 mm (Denmark)
    Oh, I way misread that. I thought they were just getting towed guns ATM. Thanks. I don’t follow arty as closely as I should.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    With the sanctions I don't think Russia could do much, a lot of their more modern stuff relies on Western supplied components, their tank and truck factories are already shut down due to lack of parts, their spotter drones are primitive things that use water bottles for gas tanks and Cannon cameras. As long as sanctions hold Russia is going to have to start building 1970's era trucks and equipment again. Now I am sure China would like to get hold of some of the newer stuff to reverse engineer but they can likely just pay off Americans and Europeans for the actual plans.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-02-22 at 11:50.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    With the sanctions I don't think Russia could do much, a lot of their more modern stuff relies on Western supplied components, their tank and truck factories are already shut down due to lack of parts, their spotter drones are primitive things that use water bottles for gas tanks and Cannon cameras. As long as sanctions hold Russia is going to have to start building 1970's era trucks and equipment again. Now I am sure China would like to get hold of some of the newer stuff to reverse engineer but they can likely just pay off Americans and Europeans for the actual plans.
    You bring up a good assumption, that the actor would be Russia. I wasn't even think about them. I am talkin doo-doo heads inside Ukraine, Balkanized regions, or some people just taking them out of Ukraine to other states.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Update on the M777 training and delivery.

https://twitter.com/spook_info/statu...17827511980033

spook
    @spook_info
    ⚡️NATO has trained over 200 Ukrainian service men and woman on the M777 Howitzers in the train the trainer program the US is spearheading. This news also comes about while 70 of the 90 M777s the US has promised have been delivered to Ukraine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We've been training Ukraine forces for a while now. I would bet they already had some sort of familiarity training before which would streamline the integration of the new stuff.

This needs to happen sooner or later though. If we are going to keep supplying them and this war gets prolonged, they are going to run out of combloc munitions.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast