Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Artillery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    That tube tow is interesting. I thought that Warsaw Pact stuff and the new Russian stuff outranged us? Or is that a few years old and we upped our range in response. Or are there other long range stuff the Russians have?
    Some of Russia’s arty and mortars have incredibly impressive stats. I think we’re seeing that, like the MiG 25, there may be some exaggeration.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    That tube tow is interesting. I thought that Warsaw Pact stuff and the new Russian stuff outranged us? Or is that a few years old and we upped our range in response. Or are there other long range stuff the Russians have?
    Doing some research looks like that drawing is true/false in regards to the M777, the older M107 HE has short legs hopefully they are getting the M795 and Excalibur's.

Effective firing range
    M107: 24 km (14.9 mi)
    ERFB: 30 km (18.6 mi) base bleed
    M795: 28.7–37 km (17.8- 23 mi)
    Excalibur: 40 km (24 mi)

The M795 is designed to be a more lethal, longer range version of the M107. A welded band replaces the swaged rotating band of the M107, allowing the M795 to be fired with M119 or M203 propelling charges, increasing range by 6,000 meters. The explosive payload was also improved, as was the fragmentation pattern, giving 30% higher lethality.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-08-22 at 11:50.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    And the Navy jacked up the guns for the Zumwalts…

I remember seeing marine armor lashed to the deck of amphibs for small-craft/close smack downs. Though it would probably tear up the deck, Until you could get it ashore, it be fun to see a couple of these guns softening things up, or fill the deck and ‘broad-side’ someone….
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    The Ukraine conflict seems to be turning into a massed artillery duel. Shades of World War I.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Dug in M777 being used in action Eastern Ukraine.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Crossing the stream. I saw comments that the Ukraine MLRS's firing at two different targets so the rockets flight paths cross each other is an attempt to confuse Russian counter battery radar. I'm thinking that might work with Russian radar.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...27725121253376

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    Ukrainian MLRS systems attacking Russian positions tonight.
    4:20 PM · May 8, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    The Ukraine conflict seems to be turning into a massed artillery duel. Shades of World War I.
    Sounds an awful lot like what has already happened. When the Donbas conflict fell into the "frozen conflict" stage, trench networks and artillery barrages were the order of the day. The big question before the invasion was how the Russians would break through the heavy Ukrainian defenses in the region. As of this point, it doesn't look like they have, and their offensives elsewhere are losing steam and resorting back to the stalemate of trench warfare. While that's good for the Ukrainians in the sense that it limits how much territory the Russians will be able to take, it'll make Ukrainian offensives harder.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I know Ukraine is likely cherry picking the videos released but sure seems like they are excellent at this whole artillery thing. This is supposed to be a Russian two man sniper team who have a close encounter with some 60 mm mortar.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1525454449208172545

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    12m
    Video from Ukraine’s SSO reportedly showing a Russian sniper pair coming under 60mm mortar fire.
    https://instagram.com/tv/CdiUZ9ABZ-N...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think we are going to have to start counting drone bombing as artillery.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1525441759169372160

Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    Graphic video of a UAV from Ukraine's 59th Motorized Brigade dropping a munition on Russian troops in a defensive position.
    https://facebook.com/59ompbr.com.ua/...53910516185242

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    More drone bombing news.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1525448394159931394

Def Mon
    @DefMon3
    This is amazing, a company from the Netherlands had developed a drum magazine system for dropping mortar rounds from commercial drones. The future battle field is going to be about countering drones. https://t.me/razved_dozor/1231

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast