Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Geissele Reaction Rod

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Reaction Rod, Yes. Giessele's, No.

Easy and simple to use, with a bench vice.

Why spend $100.00 when you can spend $60.00?? Wheeler's Engineering Action Rod works. So unless your a Professional Gunplumber / Armorer save your money.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engin.../dp/B07MFR1685
    I have a large assortment of gun accessories and gun related tools, including some Wheeler brand, purchased earlier my less knowledgable gun years. Quality does not come to mind when I use any of the Wheeler brand tools. I don't have an Action Rod but would purchase another brand if I wanted one. Thank you to ScottsBad for the heads up on the MidWest Industries upper receiver rod.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve heard people say that the G tool is better a few times for that reason, but I don’t get it. The MI tool has four flats. You can quickly and easily turn it in 90 degree increments by loosening the vice jaws. And I only use it right side up and upside down, never sideways, because I’ve never felt a need to use it sideways.

But MI’s URR is definitely the better tool for barrel nuts and muzzle devices. Which is the main thing one needs this type of tool for.
    ALG & some Troy rails have screws at 11:00- 1:00 and 5:00- 7:00 o’clock. The reaction rod is faster for rotating the upper.

It’s by no means a necessity but it’s handy if you already have one and have multiple guns in the shop.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I didn't know there was competition in the rod realm. I don't care about 4 flats because you can clock the barrel however you want on the G unit. That said, I'd buy the cheapest one I could get if I didn't already own one.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I didn't know there was competition in the rod realm. I don't care about 4 flats because you can clock the barrel however you want on the G unit. That said, I'd buy the cheapest one I could get if I didn't already own one.
    You’ve missed my point. The 4 flats is not what makes the MI tool superior. Its the fin that indexes into the charging handle slot. The most common cause of sheared index pins that I’m aware of is the G Reaction Rod. The convenience of being able to clock the barrel doesn’t make up for that. Especially since there is little or no need to do so.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You’ve missed my point. The 4 flats is not what makes the MI tool superior. Its the fin that indexes into the charging handle slot. The most common cause of sheared index pins that I’m aware of is the G Reaction Rod. The convenience of being able to clock the barrel doesn’t make up for that. Especially since there is little or no need to do so.
    Oh, you mean the same fin that the Wheeler's has for $40.00 less??

MI's
    MI-URR-2T.jpg

Wheeler's
    wheeler.jpg

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Oh, you mean the same fin that the Wheeler's has for $40.00 less??

MI's
    MI-URR-2T.jpg

Wheeler's
    wheeler.jpg
    I’m unfamiliar with that tool, so I cannot comment on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rotating is the least of my issues, I want to reduce stress, or share stress between the upper and the barrel extension when torquing. Things like clam shells don't do much for you in this regard.

I also have one of the old very tough DPMS polypropylene, receiver blocks which I only use now for scope installations. But the MI rod is the best for barrel and muzzle device installations. Receiver blocks don't address the problem well.

Wheeler makes cheap stuff, and sometimes they work. But when I need to ensure I don't damage the barrel to receiver interface and F up my $500+ barrel and/or $250 upper that I waited weeks to obtain. You're damn right I'll spend an extra $50 to have confidence in my tool for every time I use it.

I frankly don't care what you buy, just don't try to pretend they are the same. That's like magic unicorn and fairy dust thinking and you are misleading others ,and that, I can't stand.

If you are a quality Bear Creek barrel buyer go ahead and use the Wheeler LOL.

Its like when people buy cheap no name BCGs for $100 claiming they are just as good, and then shoot thousands of dollars of ammo through their rifles expecting perfect results. Penny wise and pound foolish.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-04-22 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You’ve missed my point. The 4 flats is not what makes the MI tool superior. Its the fin that indexes into the charging handle slot. The most common cause of sheared index pins that I’m aware of is the G Reaction Rod.
    Gotcha. I didn't see that feature. I've never heard of or experienced the index pin issue, but that's something to be aware of now that you mention it.

The convenience of being able to clock the barrel doesn’t make up for that. Especially since there is little or no need to do so.
    I like it for rotating the uppers to inspect stuff or get a different angle on a muzzle device, etc. Not critical, but I do use it that way.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Good video comparing the different reaction rod tools on the market...

Feedback Score
    Pictured below is one type of reaction rod not shown in the above video... The Windham Weaponry barreling jig, it's basically the mother to the "sail" or "fin" topped reaction rod type tools. Along next to it is what the Geissele Reation Block should have been from the start.

Last edited by 556Cliff; 05-04-22 at 14:05.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast