Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Are Form1 Cans Totally Dead?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    When you efile, don't make the model or serial number the name of a known solvent trap manufacturer. Subsequent to filing, you are likely to receive a request for additional information asking for pictures and descriptions of the kit you will be using. As far as I know, the ones that are getting approved now are the ones that respond that no parts or kits have been purchased, yet, and that all those decisions and purchases will be made after the form 1 is approved.

Edit: since you are dealing with the federal government, it's probably a good idea for your statements to be true.

If you already have a kit, it doesn't look like there's a way to form 1 it without making untrue statements. I wonder if it's possible to find an SOT who can manufacture a form 4 can out of your kit. You might try Alvah Devins, or better yet, an SOT in your area.

Edited again for clarity
    Thanks for the breads up.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I got a JR kit for a Model 12/AEM5 clone kit when the cans were discontinued to build a Mk12 Mod0 clone but never built it.

Am I SOL at this point?

Hoping to get a PRI Mk12 upper in a couple months so I was waiting to build the can once I get the upper to make sure the mount works etc and never saw this coming.
    Is the kit you have still in production? Could you return your kit, efile and then rebuy your kit?

If you give your kit to friend and efile, and then he gives it back. Did you have the kit when you filed? Probably a question for lawyer and may involve intent?

Could you file for a kit you have yet to buy and then decide to use other parts you used on hand for the build?

Like if you file for another hypothetical kit you want to buy but haven’t, is that ok if you have another kit you now ‘can’t use’

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Why? Changed your mind?
    Though you didn't ask me specifically, I've also received two $200 refunds. The first was for an Arsenal SLR-106CR that I wanted to SBR. I sent off the Form 1 and received the stamp. Afterward, I fired the rifle for the second time. It began to have all sorts of reliability problems. After Arsenal failed to fix it a couple of times, they replaced it (with a used rifle that had a lower serial number that also had the same reliability issues). So, I no longer had the original rifle. Since the SBR had not actually been made, I called the examiner and she told me to mail in the original form with VOID (I think) on it. Months later I received a $200 check in the mail.

The second was for a 5.56x45 Galil Ace pistol that I wanted to SBR. I mailed in the Form 1. While I was waiting on the stamp, IWI came out with factory SBR's. I bought one. When the stamp for the pistol came in, I called again and was told to send in the original form with VOID on it. I wanted to sell the Galil Ace pistol, but thought that it would be best to wait for the refund check to make sure that it was taken off of the registry. After all, the next person who bought it might want to SBR it. It literally took over two years to get the $200 refund. The only reason that I got it was I called and explained the situation to a nice lady. She looked up and confirmed that they had received my request to void the Form 1. I don't know what she did, but a little over a week later I received the $200 refund check in the mail.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I picked up a couple Form ones for cans just to have them on hand a few years back. It seems like every "Do it yourself can MFG" has been run out of business. Are there still any decent ones left?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Why? Changed your mind?
    Both were denied. One on an AR Pistol because I listed caliber as MULTI which was stamped into the lower by the MFG. The second was a MKE Zenith that I chose the wrong MKE factory in Turkey to list. On the Zenith ATF denial they told me the correct factory to use and I re-applied on that one.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I picked up a couple Form ones for cans just to have them on hand a few years back. It seems like every "Do it yourself can MFG" has been run out of business. Are there still any decent ones left?
    I contacted Ecco Machine about a Form 1 build and was told that they weren't in that business any longer. This was less than a year ago when the DIY industry seemed to be drying up. I just ordered an Aquilae from them instead.

Feedback Score
    According to the new rules by ATF you can’t do it. Period. Currently and recently they’ve decided that the kits are already suppressors and if you have a kit (even unmodified) it IS a suppressor already (and thus you’re currently in possession of an unregistered silencer). The only way to legally transfer a kit is via form 4, obviously preceded by a form 3 to a SOT. Even if you conceal your intentions on the form 1 submission and get approval, it will never be a legally owned suppressor and based on the form 1 date could be easily proven to be in violation of their new rules.

The new rules obviously suck and are ridiculously unfair. I don’t personally care what anyone does but you’ll never be able to build a legal suppressor from your kit, even if you fudge the form 1. Getting caught is very unlikely but still in my opinion not worth the risk of losing your gun rights.
    Last edited by JimmyB62; 05-15-22 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Superprecisionconcepts.com makes a good one. That's the one we did on Pappabear's F1.
    Last edited by markm; 05-15-22 at 12:29.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12