Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No more USA steel available for rifle barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Shortages are going to be part of the new normal.
    Not just that but much higher prices as well.

We should print some more money to do something about that crap...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well I passed US Steel in Pittsburgh today and there was plenty of coal cars on the railroad tracks....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I am really curious, you don't see supply shortages coming with the supply chain disruptions already from the pandemic and now the massive rearmament NATO is going to be undertaking.

Let us see, the US is supplying IIRC around 140,000 155 shells, 95 lbs each with 15 lbs of filler so 80 lbs of forged steel = 11,200,000 lbs for ammo alone.

Then let us say 100 M777's at 9,300 lb each round that down to 9,000 for non steel parts = 900,000 lbs.

That comes to over 12,000,000 lbs for that one aid package alone which I assume is going to have to be replaced with something so yep if you need grip screws better get em now.

Now the good news/bad news is that Ukraine farmers are gathering up massive amounts of blown up Russian armor that can be recycled but the bad news is Russian has bombed the shit out of the Azovstal steel plant that could have done that.
    12 million lb is 0.085% of the us steel capacity (whole country, not the company).

There are a lot of steel sources besides china that make quality steel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    12 million lb is 0.085% of the us steel capacity (whole country, not the company).

There are a lot of steel sources besides china that make quality steel.
    Raw numbers mean nothing, it's supply/demand if supply for a certain product, say 4150 steel, is geared to a certain level and suddenly demand increases drastically there will be shortages until supply can catch up. Right now the war is burning through a lot of stockpiles and NATO announced they are going on a big buying spree. The US is another matter, this administration is not trustworthy, possible their goal is to weaken the US which means they will suck down stocks of war reserve material and not replace. Already they are sucking down the Strategic Oil Reserve and sending lots of Javelin's and Stinger's that will take some time to replace.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The important question is what are people going to do when they can’t get grips screws made with American steel??

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Are you creating a rumor to induce a panic in materials purchases with one source?

Have steel prices increased much recently? If it were true, specialized steel prices would skyrocket and this would be a signal to the barrel makers who would raise prices immediately.

Right now common ammunition calibers are in good supply and prices have stabilized. If what you say is true it will be reflected in increased price soon. Secretes like that don't remain uncovered for long.

As of the time you wrote this post there is no evidence of what you say.
    Hey now, he heard it from somebody on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I heard, on Omegle, that Elon Musk is planting thousands of steel trees in the desert. I think we will be fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I heard men can get pregnant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I heard men can get pregnant.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    Hey now, he heard it from somebody on Twitter.
    Where darn near ALL of his 'trusted' news comes from...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast