Thread: Rimfire Pistol RDS Dot Size

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Rimfire Pistol RDS Dot Size

I am leaning towards mounting a Vortex Venom or similar dot on my MKII .22 LR pistol. I own and use a couple of red dots on rifles but pistols are a brave new world for me.

The pistol will be used by multiple people, including new shooters, so ease of use is important. I would also like enough precision to reward proper shooting technique.

Is a 3 MOA or 6 MOA dot preferable for target/plinking?

Andy

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am leaning towards mounting a Vortex Venom or similar dot on my MKII .22 LR pistol. I own and use a couple of red dots on rifles but pistols are a brave new world for me.

The pistol will be used by multiple people, including new shooters, so ease of use is important. I would also like enough precision to reward proper shooting technique.

Is a 3 MOA or 6 MOA dot preferable for target/plinking?

Andy
    I would do 3. I think the only argument for 6 is carry gun where people say they want to pick up the dot fast. Once you get used to it and see the benefit, you expand the range of a pistol. I have moved to all my 9mm pistols to 1 moa and just turn up the brightness if needed. For my 22 pistols I run 3 moa dots.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed with the above reply. Go 3 MOA. 6 covers up too much of the target.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I would go with 2-3 moa dot.

I would look at something like the Holosun/ Primary Arms Vulcan for newer shooters. It has their ACSS reticle but also has an outer circle that will help new shooters find the dot easier when they present the pistol.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...t-acss-reticle

If you are looking for something a little cheaper the Holosun 407c is a good choice and has 2 moa dot and a couple other size options

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-407c-x2

While a Vortex Venom would be fine for a 22lr I would recommend getting the Holosun as they have proven durable. Check out Sage Dynamics testing on them vs his testing on the Venom. The venom is a pretty old optic at this point as well. If you wanted to save a little bit more Swampfox Optics has the Justice and Liberty. Code Ron9mm on their site will give 15% off i believe. Sage also tested these and they performed almost as good as the Holosun.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Between those two choices, 3. I'd rather have a 1 or 2 moa dot for the accuracy.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can't see the diff between 2 and 4 MOA with my eyes. But 6 gets a little too imprecise. I agree with the other replies.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you all

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've shot 2.5, 3, 3.5, 5, and 6 MOA dots. I much prefer the 5, but would take a 6 over a 3.

A 3" dot at 50 yards is significantly smaller than what I can hand hold at that distance.

I've never looked through a Vortex, but another consideration is that some folks end up turning the smaller dots up brighter, causing them to bloom and loose crispness around the edges. My 6MOA dot can be kept at a lower brightness setting than my 2.5.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    I've shot 2.5, 3, 3.5, 5, and 6 MOA dots. I much prefer the 5, but would take a 6 over a 3.

A 3" dot at 50 yards is significantly smaller than what I can hand hold at that distance.

I've never looked through a Vortex, but another consideration is that some folks end up turning the smaller dots up brighter, causing them to bloom and loose crispness around the edges. My 6MOA dot can be kept at a lower brightness setting than my 2.5.
    I believe the dot size has no impact on performance if you practice. Its all preference. Ilike 3moa because there ussually cheaper. 6moa is just annoying. Its the large button tv remote of the rds world
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-13-22 at 17:16.