Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes buffer damage?

Feedback Score

What causes buffer damage?

I have a VLTOR A5 buffer system in my AR. I noticed these divots on the buffer along the outside. I am guessing the buffer retaining pin did it, but how?

And how do I fix it. What part do I need to replace.

https://i.imgur.com/p1d9WkR.png

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Check for burrs on the carrier, doesn't appear that its the case but worth a look.

Feedback Score
    The bolt carrier itself may be out of spec - too short. I had that issue with one particular BCG in both a carbine and A5 extension. The BCG was replaced by the company…and it was a well known manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    1st inspect the back of the carrier, it should be smooth with no burs.
    2nd the carrier should measure 6.67-6.68 in length.
    3rd check for a minimum of .030 of buffer standoff- see video
    4th if you do not have the minimum buffer clearance, install this offset buffer retainer pin. https://gallowayprecision.com/offset...r-AR-15-rifles
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Those are on the outer edge. No way the carrier is doing that. Monumentally unlikely that the carrier is too short unless it's some LWRCi garbage.

If there's a lot of rounds on the gun (over 300-500) then there's nothing to fix. The buffer would look chewed up much worse. Looks more like the detent to me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those are on the outer edge. No way the carrier is doing that. Monumentally unlikely that the carrier is too short unless it's some LWRCi garbage.

If there's a lot of rounds on the gun (over 300-500) then there's nothing to fix. The buffer would look chewed up much worse. Looks more like the detent to me.
    This. And it looks like a FCD detent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    An offset buffer retainer pin might fix your issue.

https://gallowayprecision.com/offset...r-AR-15-rifles

EDIT: I now see it was already posted above
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 05-05-22 at 09:58.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It’s not a problem until a problem. Shoot the piss out of it.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unusual that the buffer retainer is in the white. But yeah... that minute amount of denting could simply be from installing the buffer into the RE and it hitting the detent.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    1st inspect the back of the carrier, it should be smooth with no burs.
    2nd the carrier should measure 6.67-6.68 in length.
    3rd check for a minimum of .030 of buffer standoff- see video
    4th if you do not have the minimum buffer clearance, install this offset buffer retainer pin. https://gallowayprecision.com/offset...r-AR-15-rifles
    I measured the gap between the wall of the upper and lower (I think that is what this guy did also but he covered it up with his arm in the video.). I got at 0.032in, there is more space but that it the thickest feeler gauge I have. Carrier back is smooth from what I can tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast