Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes buffer damage?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    I measured the gap between the wall of the upper and lower (I think that is what this guy did also but he covered it up with his arm in the video.). I got at 0.032in, there is more space but that it the thickest feeler gauge I have. Carrier back is smooth from what I can tell.
    When you close the upper and lower together you should be able to see the carrier push the buffer off the buffer retainer.
    If it doesn’t that offset buffer retainer should correct the issue.

Sometimes this happens due to a slightly out spec upper or lower. It’s at least common enough that someone designed the offset buffer retainer just for this issue.
    Last edited by prepare; 05-05-22 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bad BC, detent, and buffer interaction.
    Looks like buffer is impacting detent, dimples around outer circumference. Shouldn't be happening.
    Buffer should contact detent only when the gun is open. When upper and lower are closed, BC tail contacts buffer face and pushes it off buffer. Take a known-good and do this slowly, it's visible.
    BC tail is smaller circumference than the buffer, an even circle of wear/polish inside of the outer edge is normal. Burrs on the tail chew a ring of uneven surface on buffer face, not polish it.
    Swap in other buffers and BCs to see which the problem follows. If possible, gauge OAL of each.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Gap looks good. I think the divots must've already been on the buffer when I swapped uppers.

https://i.imgur.com/pHcpiOx.png

Feedback Score
    Given that there are only one or two of them, I'd say it is from installing the buffer.

If it was because the upper or BCG we're out of spec, there would be a dent for every round you ever shot in that thing.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Unusual that the buffer retainer is in the white. But yeah... that minute amount of denting could simply be from installing the buffer into the RE and it hitting the detent.
    From the FCD wed site...
    RBF (Reinforced Buffer retainer, Forward Controls) is a strengthened AR buffer retainer machined with Swiss machines from 17-4 stainless steel bar stock, and heat treated to H900 hardness.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Given that there are only one or two of them, I'd say it is from installing the buffer.

If it was because the upper or BCG we're out of spec, there would be a dent for every round you ever shot in that thing.
    This is what I was thinking, it would be chewed up all around the perimeter edge of the buffer.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post

Exactly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    From the FCD wed site...
    RBF (Reinforced Buffer retainer, Forward Controls) is a strengthened AR buffer retainer machined with Swiss machines from 17-4 stainless steel bar stock, and heat treated to H900 hardness.
    Good God. The Buffer retainer just holds the buffer. There's no reason to aftermarket that part. We are reaching DEEP to figure out dumb reasons to replace shit on the AR.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good God. The Buffer retainer just holds the buffer. There's no reason to aftermarket that part. We are reaching DEEP to figure out dumb reasons to replace shit on the AR.
    -
    I can't help but wonder if you are not just butt-hurt because your grip screw wasn't machined on Swiss machines.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When the pin hole is off there is no doubt after a few rounds.

My Law folder is a pin eater and needs an offset one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast