Thread: SIG P320 CCW?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SIG P320 CCW?

Anyone here carry a P320 as their CCW? If so do you have any concerns with all of the ongoing unintentional discharges? I just saw a video of a group of officers exiting a vehicle and one of their issued 320s fired with the officers hands nowhere near the pistol. I am a fan of the series and they shoot really well for me but I just can’t disregard the evidence that there is a legitimate safety issue with the design. The Pasco county sheriffs office had a couple discharges one of which they contributed to the RSO playing with his gun while holstered. The other more recent unintentional discharge happened to a seasoned officer and resulted in them pulling the pistol from service and replacing it with the Glock 45.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I carried a P320 Carry model everyday for 5 years at work and off duty. I took it to the FLETC AIM course the FLETC FI refresher course and a Mid-South Tactical class and never had any issues. I also made sure nothing would get caught in the issued 6360 holster or my no name IWB holster that could come in contact with the trigger. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 05-05-22 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    Anyone here carry a P320 as their CCW? If so do you have any concerns with all of the ongoing unintentional discharges? I just saw a video of a group of officers exiting a vehicle and one of their issued 320s fired with the officers hands nowhere near the pistol. I am a fan of the series and they shoot really well for me but I just can’t disregard the evidence that there is a legitimate safety issue with the design. The Pasco county sheriffs office had a couple discharges one of which they contributed to the RSO playing with his gun while holstered. The other more recent unintentional discharge happened to a seasoned officer and resulted in them pulling the pistol from service and replacing it with the Glock 45.
    Why is it we only hear about this happening with department guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That’s a good point. I like the design for its modularity and shoot ability, just can’t get over the amount of unintentional discharges. If not for those I’d be carrying one exclusively.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My wife carried one for several years as her CCW; no issues. I've had a P320-M17 for a couple of years now, and started carrying it end of last year; no issues. Considering how popular the weapons are, and how widely they've been adopted by civilian shooters, police, and the military, I don't really worry about it. If the design was so fundamentally flawed as the po-pos who shoot themselves would like us to believe, every 2LT and E-3 who has one would have extra holes by now. Really seem to be localized problems, possibly due to poor maintenance, bad holsters, or (at worst) a bad batch or two.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That’s a good point. I like the design for its modularity and shoot ability, just can’t get over the amount of unintentional discharges. If not for those I’d be carrying one exclusively.
    Not unintentional, Negligent. Reason is officers are typically the worst at following the firearms safety rules. I have been involved in some way with several ND incidents, and eon all but one, the operator was found at fault. Technically, the operator was at fault because he monkeyed around with his 1911 and the sear engagement.

On another site, I posted some information I found on the web, and then did some fact checking. It lists incident or problems with the Sig P320 specifically. I found almost 50% of the listed incidents not to have occurred with P320's.

What I can tell you is I have never seen a P320 or any pistol for that matter, just go off by itself without some external force or influence. Not saying it's can't happen, but I haven't seen it happen.

I picked up my first 320 in 2015 directly from Sig. Had zero issues with it until the drop fire problem came about. I shelved it until a fix was found, then off it went to Sig. Once it and several others from my department came back with the upgrade, we decided to test the fix. With everything we put 7 pistol through, not a single one of them exhibited an uncommanded ignition. We even destroyed a frame during our testing.

So with that, I have no issues or concerns about carrying an upgraded or current production 320. My duty pistol is the 2015 carry model that was sent back for the upgrade. It has been 100% and I have around 10k rounds through it now. It has been to numerous classes and training schools with me.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 05-06-22 at 17:25.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

A place where you will see trees, grass, water.
    Feedback Score
    Just remember who made Glock Leg famous!

Daily carry a X Carry. Quality holster, no issues to date.

Feedback Score
    Switching from the M9 to the M18, I've been able to see nearly all the ND reports for my agency. Near as I can tell, all of them were due to someone sticking their finger in the trigger or getting something caught in there. Most common complaint has been "We're used to the heavier trigger on the M9!"

It's pretty much a non-issue for anyone who actually practices proper gun safety from what I've seen.

Feedback Score
    I own a P320 Carry and am planning to work it into my carry rotation on a regular basis. I have no safety concerns at all around this pistol. I consider it just as safe as any of my other striker fired pistols.

As has already been mentioned, SIG fixed the issue they had with drop fires. If memory serves they replaced the old, heavier trigger shoe with a lighter trigger shoe. The lighter trigger shoe not having enough rearward inertia to fire if the gun is dropped squarely on it's back.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Carried mine till I retired and then bought it when I left. I carry the compact in rotation with a 365, and a Kimber CDP. Haven't had an unintentional discharge yet, nor have any of the 300 officers from my department and the neighbor department.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk