Thread: DBAL I2 vs A3 for indoor use carbine?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

DBAL I2 vs A3 for indoor use carbine?

I am looking to get another Illuminator for what is essentially a home defense carbine.

I am currently running a DBAL D2 on another gun but I feel like that illuminator is extremely overkill and even detrimental for interior use so I am looking at the I2 and A3.

Am I correct in thinking that the main differences seem to be the lack of a visible laser and vis override on the I2?

I feel like it would be hard to justify $500ish difference to go to the A3 if that is the case. However I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

I almost regret selling my ATPIAL-C since with the diffuser it would have actually worked ok for this purpose.

Thanks in advance!
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Assume you mean the 9007 I2? There may still be some older red/IR or green/IR I2s floating around also.

9007 has IR laser and IR illuminator, no vis laser. I have several of these on rifles of mine and they work great.

For CQB as you mentioned, it's going to help just a bit also as the D2 is a "big ol girl" and tends to off balance a rifle depending on where you put it. I've watched students at our classes who had too much stuff on their carbines have to practically do whole body movements to bring the rifle up a few hours into training. Not all the D2's fault there, they had all kinds of excess shit (IMO) on their rifles which made them off balanced.

So one advantage that few think about is that your rifle could be potentially better balanced with the lighter 9007 versus a D2. Some folks may never see the advantage in that but since you mentioned in home, that means close quarters which means your weapon could also be used to hit, pry, lever, etc. It's like all the cooldaddy slings, people love them till I show a quick demo on how easy it is to choke, wrap up, take someone down, etc. with their own equipment (the fun stuff!).

Final advantage is like you said- a big savings.

Also, FYI, rumor has it that 9007s will be discontinued late this year by Steiner. Hopefully that won't happen as then they will only have 1 IR laser under $1200- the Otal C.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Somehow I knew you would be the early reply haha.

I do love my D2. But it has all the issues you mentioned. I think I will pick up a 9007 just to play with. I was going to order from BH photo but I need to check your site first so I can grab it from you if you have them in.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Somehow I knew you would be the early reply haha.

I do love my D2. But it has all the issues you mentioned. I think I will pick up a 9007 just to play with. I was going to order from BH photo but I need to check your site first so I can grab it from you if you have them in.
    Have a little less than a dozen in stock now. Should be a coupon code running on them right now also-

Use coupon code 9007200 for big savings on in stock 9007 models!

Or just call to order and mention M4carbine for discounted pricing. Unfortunately we can't advertise a lower price as Steiner has that "MAP pricing policy" BS, but you can use the coupon code or call to save bucks.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com