Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Whats Wrong with the Russian Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

The New Whats Wrong with the Russian Army

I thing this is needed but hopefully we can keep the politics to a minimum.

Russia trying to force that river costing has cost them an entire Battalion Tactical Group (BTG). Estimates of KIA's range from a conservative 800 to 1500 plus and it appears they are going to try again.

https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/stat...42847664173057

BlueSauron👁️
    @Blue_Sauron
    A tally of Russian losses from the infamous failed Russian Siverskyi Donets river crossing near Bilohorivka.
    In total 73 Russian equipment were destroyed/abandoned, including a BTG worth of AFVs.

Great thanks to J.P. for counting and sending it to me.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Ukrainian Combat Engineer who located the likely river crossing area so that Ukraine had a heads up and was prepared to respond. The guy has a bit of a big head but is rightfully proud I think.

https://twitter.com/kms_d4k/status/1524506107615584256

Максим
    @kms_d4k
    The context:

I am UA military engineering + EOD officer. I have served one turn in Donbas prior to the recent invasion.
    Recently, I have accomplished a mission which made huge impact on Russian losses and completely screwed up their plans to encircle Lysychansk.

Initially, there was intelligence from frontline units that there are Russians on the other side of the river and they gather various vehicles. So, my commander asked on 6th May me as one of the best military engineers to do engineering reconnaissance on Siverskyi Donets river

Together with recon units for backup, I went to explore the area of Hryhorivka and Bilohorivka on 7th May.
    Frontline units in Bilohorivka reported multiple RU vehicles gathering on the other side of the river.

I explored the area and suggested a location where Russians might attempt to mount a pontone bridge to get to the other side. And, used rangefinders to figure out river is 80m wide, thus Russians would need 8 parts (10m each) of the bridge connected to get to the other side.

With that flow of the river, I knew they would need motorized boats to arrange such a bridge, and it would take them at least two hours of work.
    Took me a day to check everything. And I had to do it on 8th of May as well.
    So, reported this information I had to my commanders.

Also, I told the unit who observed that part of the river that they need to be on the look out for sound of motor boats.
    Visibility was shit in the area because Russians put fields & forests on fire, and were throwing a lot of smoke grenades. On top of that, it was foggy.

They had to hear the sound. And they did on May 8th early morning. Right at the place I said. I was there to check it as well - and I have seen with my drone as Russians do the pontonne bridge. Reported immediately to commanders.

Looking back, I think my recon + hints to the river unit made the biggest impact. I outplayed RU mil engineers.
    Russians attempted to place a bridge RIGHT in the place where I guessed.
    River unit didn’t see RU units, but was able to hear motor boats and report it immediately

Artillery was ready.
    We have been able to confirm Russians mounted 7 parts of the bridge out of 8. Russians have even succeeded to move some troops and vehicles over the river. Combats started.

In ~20 minutes after recon unit confirmed Russian bridge being mounted, HEAVY ARTILLERY engaged against Russian forces, and then aviation chipped in as well.
    I was still in the area, and I have never seen / heard such heavy combat in my life.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-12-22 at 09:41.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Russia confiscated their soldiers cell phones before invasion but soldiers kept their SIM cards, then soldiers steal Ukrainian cell phones and install their SIM's and bingo they show up on the Ukraine cell network as roamers.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/sta...43911817850881

Trent Telenko
    @TrentTelenko
    This map was direct messaged to me and was taken from a forum. It is a heat map of Russian SIM cards roaming Ukrainian cellphone networks. Logistics Thread��

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Artillery was ready.
    We have been able to confirm Russians mounted 7 parts of the bridge out of 8. Russians have even succeeded to move some troops and vehicles over the river. Combats started.

In ~20 minutes after recon unit confirmed Russian bridge being mounted, HEAVY ARTILLERY engaged against Russian forces, and then aviation chipped in as well.
    I was still in the area, and I have never seen / heard such heavy combat in my life.
    Interview with Wali.

Google translate:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2...n-terrible.php

"After a few weeks in Ukrainian territory, some of the most experienced Western soldiers ended up being recruited by the Ukrainian Military Intelligence Directorate, and would now participate in special operations behind enemy lines, according to one of them. . Others, less experienced, "jump from one Airbnb to another" while waiting to be recruited by a unit that will take them to the front, says Wali. The majority, however, have decided to return home, say several people interviewed for this article. "Many arrive in Ukraine with their chests bulging, but they leave with their tails between their legs," says Wali. PHOTO PROVIDED BY WALI Fire caused by the bombardment of Ukrainian positions, near Irpin, in the suburbs of Kyiv In the end, he himself said he only fired two bullets into windows "to scare" and never really came within enemy firing range. "It's a war of machines", where the "extremely brave" Ukrainian soldiers suffer very heavy losses from shelling, but "miss many opportunities" to weaken the enemy because they lack knowledge technical military, he summarizes. “If the Ukrainians had the procedures we had in Afghanistan to communicate with the artillery, we could have caused carnage,” he believes. But Wali does not hide his desire to return there despite everything. “You never know when foreign fighters will make a difference on the ground. It's like a fire extinguisher: it's useless until the fire catches."

Russia confiscated their soldiers cell phones before invasion but soldiers kept their SIM cards, then soldiers steal Ukrainian cell phones and install their SIM's and bingo they show up on the Ukraine cell network as roamers.

Trent Telenko
    @TrentTelenko
    This map was direct messaged to me and was taken from a forum. It is a heat map of Russian SIM cards roaming Ukrainian cellphone networks. Logistics Thread��
    (NSFW) Russian Troops Blown-Up by Artillery During Instagram Livestream
    https://funker530.com/video/nsfw-rus...am-livestream/

Why Ukraine's Artillery is So Effective vs. Russia
    https://funker530.com/video/why-ukra...russia-fnn-34/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What's wrong with the Russian Army is the exact same thing that's wrong with Russia. Its full of Russians.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Let's try to keep this thread on topic, discussions about whether we should be helping Ukraine, Russia as the good guys, etc should be out of scope.

This should be purely discussions on military performance and news in the war, ideally with confirmed sources.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Let's try to keep this thread on topic, discussions about whether we should be helping Ukraine, Russia as the good guys, etc should be out of scope.

This should be purely discussions on military performance and news in the war, ideally with confirmed sources.
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05...smid=url-share

Moscow is withdrawing forces from around Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, where it was losing ground, Ukrainian and Western officials said, in one of Russia’s biggest setbacks since its retreat from Kyiv last month.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

Yeah, let's not eff this up with a lot of purse-swinging and hair-pulling.

Carry on.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    SNIP; read it above.
    Something interesting is that the Russians did this (the bridge thing) to the Nazis in Ukraine in WWII. They seem to have retained no lessons learned from that conflict, which I guess makes sense, since they executed so many of their own commanders during that phase of the Eastern Front. There was an incredible degree of stupid on display in Ukraine then, as well. There are also similarities between the tactics and concepts used by Ukrainian anti-tank dudes and the ones employed by the Allies against Axis tanks with tank destroyers.

Trent Telenko
    @TrentTelenko
    This has been a thing for them in the 20-teens there as well. The Russian Army has very poor security and basically glows in the dark. It is very easy to determine the strength, location, equipment, and vehicles of the Russian army, because of this. Y’wanna know the names and work/home addresses for many of their intel operatives? Just look at their version of Uber Eats. Telephone numbers, home addresses, security protocols at gates, everything.

This is available open source, you don’t even need to be an agency or IC to get this intel.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-13-22 at 13:34.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast