Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Whats Wrong with the Russian Army

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Interestingly, the Germans fought the Russians in Ukraine on at least one battlefield that Napoleon also did. I don’t remember which, but the German commander mentioned the historical significance of the field when he addressed his troops before battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Hitler made that same deadly assumption others had, would win quickly, didn't need to prep gear and have winter stuff for troops, etc. Along with the massive flood of stuff we sent at great cost to us, allowing them to get their momentum back, for which the miserable commies not only didn't thank us for (like the French did with a nice statue and such), it was banned from even talking about and would see you sent to the Gulags for it.

I really wonder if the right move would have been to have left the Russians to their fate. Even with a win, the Germans could not have controlled and managed the country and would always be a huge resource drain on the Nazi's to deal with.
    I think so, but hindsight is 20/20. Had we not yoked ourselves with them as allies of convenience, they would not be where they are today. They wouldn’t have gotten nuclear weapons, or not as quickly, and perhaps the same with jets.

I used to say that China doesn’t have any cool shit that they didn’t reverse engineer, buy, or steal the designs for. And while that is less true than it was 20 years ago, its an interesting idea to apply to Russia. Off the top of my head:

. The Maxim was purchased from the West.
    . The early tanks were supplied by Britain.
    . There was a combined/joint tank school shared with Germany. It appears that the Germans pulled more teaching weight there than the Russians.
    . DC3s were provided by the US.
    . Jet aircraft and plans were captured from the Nazis.
    . I’m sure the captured scientists helped with The Bomb.
    . The AK47 was almost certainly inspired by the Sturmgewehr, even though the internal design is unrelated. The form and technology was related. I believe it was mechanically closer to American designs. Wonder where they got those.
    . MANPADS were developed from Stingers they bought from Pashtuns via Pakistan
    . AAMs have frequently mirrored US ones. We can assume UXO in Viet Nam was involved in the developments. Randall Cunningham, and probably others, were known to shoot AAMs at trucks on their way back to base. He is credited with destroying one, but what happened to the misses?
    . A ground-launched advanced missile was purchased by Russia from someone in the Middle East recently after it landed mostly intact after being fired by Israel or the US; I don’t recall the details.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-14-22 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Add to that the US invented Christie tank suspension was one of the things that made the T-34 as effective as it was.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Russians don't treat their cannon fodder very well. The second video shows militia armed with Mosin–Nagant's Russia has run out of AK-47's?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/statu...69978379927557

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    This is amazing. Cannon fodder from the DPR and LPR stuck at the Ukrainian-Russian border near Kharkiv. They had been retreating from Kharkiv together with the Russian Army, but Russian authorities don’t let non-Russians to cross the border.

https://twitter.com/UkrWarLive/statu...67125296599042

Ukraine in War
    @UkrWarLive
    With rifles of the 1891 model and helmets of the 50s. But still alive.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    The Russians don't treat their cannon fodder very well. The second video shows militia armed with Mosin–Nagant's Russia has run out of AK-47's?

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    This is amazing. Cannon fodder from the DPR and LPR stuck at the Ukrainian-Russian border near Kharkiv. They had been retreating from Kharkiv together with the Russian Army, but Russian authorities don’t let non-Russians to cross the border.

Ukraine in War
    @UkrWarLive
    DCDB8597-DA68-4225-85AD-B1E6C02A49EC.jpeg

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was surprised to learn that Ukrainian Army still has Political Officers. as well as Barrier troops/battalions (aka anti-retreat forces).

Ukrainian version of Nationalsozialistischer Führungsoffizier, I suppose.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I was surprised to learn that Ukrainian Army still has Political Officers. as well as Barrier troops/battalions (aka anti-retreat forces).

I believe you meant to say Russian Army, if not prove it. Or just come in here post a bunch of nonsense and ruin another thread.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-14-22 at 16:12.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Ukraine in War
    @UkrWarLive
    Wow. I considered how likely it was that they had guys armed with Mosins or other bolt actions the other day and am still surprised to actually see it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post

I’m placing you on ignore for at least one week. After that if I see you post about actually shooting a rifle, I’ll get curious enough to remove that. I hate to do this because I like to see different opinions, but you can’t seem to understand how to stay on topic like an adult.

I hope you have a good day, and I hope you do so elsewhere. This thread is for discussion of the Russian army’s performance.

Mods, can you guys please go back to temp-banning users that habitually shit in threads instead of locking the thread?

Feedback Score
    I remember some history book saying that some huge proportion of the Russian rolling stock for trains in World War II was provided by Lindley‘s. You can make all kinds of stuff, but in a country as big as Russia you’re not gonna be moving stuff without trains.

It’s interesting to see all the Soviet Union red flags with hammers and circles on these Russian troops. I think there even was a video with a guy near an armored personnel carrier with a red baseball cap on. Not quite sure why you would do that.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I remember some history book saying that some huge proportion of the Russian rolling stock for trains in World War II was provided by Lindley‘s. You can make all kinds of stuff, but in a country as big as Russia you’re not gonna be moving stuff without trains.
    Russia was and is extremely dependent upon trains. Its one of the reasons everyone got so much intel on what units were going where, and what their actual strength was vs doctrine.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-14-22 at 19:47. Reason: Spelling is hard.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast