Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Think Field Stripping a Ruger MK I - II is a Pain...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In my opinion, anyone looking to buy a Ruger Mark pistol today should get one of the Mark IV models.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    In my opinion, anyone looking to buy a Ruger Mark pistol today should get one of the Mark IV models.
    I agree the MKIV with a Volquartsen accuracy kit is as good as they get.

It's not the assembly of the other mk models is to hard. It's that it's not necessary. Even before the MKIV. Prying out the take down lever in the lower caused scratches.

I really like the MKIV just push a button, and all CNC also.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsd2053 View Post

Even before the MKIV. Prying out the take down lever in the lower caused scratches.
    I just use my thumbnail, a piece of cord, or even picture hanging wire to open the latch.

MKIV is a real upgrade, though.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-23-22 at 06:55.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If You Think Field Stripping a Ruger MK I - II is a Pain...
    Andy
    ...fieldstripping & reassembling a MK.III will disavow you of that!!!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I brought my 5.5" bull barrel MKII to the range Sunday and ran through 300 mixed rounds that had accumulated in my "catch all box". It functioned perfectly with bulk SV and HV ammo and made the deep cleaning I did seem worthwhile. I wish I had some idea of the round count on this pistol. I bought it new in the mid 90s and have fired it enough to replace 2 recoil spring assemblies, polish 1/2 the blue off the grip frame, and wear out springs on the original magazines.

If you need a .22 "survival" pistol, it would be hard to beat a stainless MKII standard, IMHO. There just is not much to break, lose, or get loose (the only screws are the grip screws).

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As much as folks rag on them, I will always have a mk II on hand. (And probably my only 22)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I took apart two older 22/45's to install the Tandem Cross kits and haven't taken them apart since. That was 6 or more years ago=I just hose it down here and there.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have a few MK2's in one of my safes. Back in the day, I bought a 5 1/2 inch bull barrel. Very accurate. The first time I took it apart to clean it was easy. The reassembly gave me fits. After a couple of hours, I threw it across the garage. I left it there for a few days. I finally picked up the pieces and with my tail between my legs went to the local gunsmith. (Bain & Davis) The old guy looks at the parts. I still remember the look on his face. The conversation:

Having trouble assembling your gun?

"Yes."

Throw it against a wall?

"Yes. How can you tell?"

You bent the frame. Don't feel bad, I get at least 5 of these a week.

He then assembles the gun in a few seconds. Then proceeds to take it apart and shows me how to assemble it. The trick was to tilt the gun at a certain angle so the sear or something was in a certain position and then assemble. This was many years ago, so I may be remembering it wrong, but he had me do it a few times.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    Talk about timing on a thread . Took my grandson to the range Father`s day after letting him go through my gun safe to see what he wanted to try . Very first pick was my Ruger Mark II Stainless Target . I`m trying to talk him out of it , but he insists .... and his Mother didn`t help any by saying she wanted to fire it also .
    So , about 400 to 500 rounds later , it`s here sitting on my desk waiting for me to decide to clean it . BTW , he loves the gun .... hit every plate on the plate rack and then some steel at about 50 yards . Tried a B8 target and he put everything in the black at 15 yards .
    Switched to my P365XL and things went off the rail , so he went back to the Mark II . FWIW , I really don`t hate the gun , just the takedown and reassembly . But , it was a great afternoon with grandson #1 .

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    Talk about timing on a thread . Took my grandson to the range Father`s day after letting him go through my gun safe to see what he wanted to try . Very first pick was my Ruger Mark II Stainless Target . I`m trying to talk him out of it , but he insists .... and his Mother didn`t help any by saying she wanted to fire it also .
    So , about 400 to 500 rounds later , it`s here sitting on my desk waiting for me to decide to clean it . BTW , he loves the gun .... hit every plate on the plate rack and then some steel at about 50 yards . Tried a B8 target and he put everything in the black at 15 yards .
    Switched to my P365XL and things went off the rail , so he went back to the Mark II . FWIW , I really don`t hate the gun , just the takedown and reassembly . But , it was a great afternoon with grandson #1 .
    You can always just spray it with cleaner and run a boresnake through the barrel

The main thing is that you enjoyed your Father's Day.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-20-22 at 16:31.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast