Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Think Field Stripping a Ruger MK I - II is a Pain...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I found a pristine Ruger Mk 2 Target model that had been posted on the clubs bulletin board. The seller was still present soI introduced myself to him and his buddy. He told maybe i5bhad about 300 rinds through the 6 mags in total, hadn’t been used in the better part of a decade or more! When I asked the guy why he was selling it, his buddy giggled & said “$75 to reassemble his gun after messing it up 3X that’s why!”…what did I get myself into…
    Last edited by GNXII; 05-14-22 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    I found a pristine Mk 2 Target model at posted on the clubs bulletin board. When I asked the the guy why he was selling it, his buddy giggled & said “$75 to reassemble his gun after messing it up 3X that’s why!”…what didI get myself into…
    Follow the instructions in the manual to the letter, its really not hard. Now a MKIII with a mag inserted backwards? Good luck...

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I just bought a Mark IV 22/45 lite. It’s so much easier to take apart.
    That is a reason I got mine...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Follow the instructions in the manual to the letter, its really not hard. Now a MKIII with a mag inserted backwards? Good luck...

Andy
    Jesus that’s bad! How did that get solved…

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    MKIII reassembly is the bear!!!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you ever get a trigger kit with a reduced mainspring, just ignore it.

Makes for a mushy trigger and a total PITA to put back together(and again when you put the original back in).

Similar in concept to a 1911 mainspring assembly, but instead of the cap with the divot and guiding tail that provides some control, the Ruger is a ball bearing sitting on top of the spring.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    Jesus that’s bad! How did that get solved…
    No personal experience, I just know it ties up the pistol until you get the mag back out. I think you can take a grip panel off and free the mag without a lot of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    MKIII reassembly is the bear!!!
    Its funny to me that Ruger actually increased the difficulty of field stripping and assembling the pistol by adding the MKIII mag safety.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-14-22 at 23:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    No personal experience, I just know it ties up the pistol until you get the mag back out. I think you can take a grip panel off and free the mag without a lot of drama.

Its funny to me that Ruger actually increased the difficulty of field stripping and assembling the pistol by adding the MKIII mag safety.

Andy
    There was a step that sometimes needed to be done that(as far as I know) never made it into the Mk III manual. I found numerous discussion board threads where someone hit that issue and asked for online help and dozens would respond with how to proceed based on their talking to Ruger customer service.

Not a fan of magazine disconnects in the first place, put sticking one in a pistol that requires dry firing to disassemble has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever came across.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    ….Not a fan of magazine disconnects in the first place, put sticking one in a pistol that requires dry firing to disassemble has to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever came across.
    The magazine disconnect was the first thing I removed on my old Mark III and the first thing I am removing on my new Mark IV 22/45.
    I ordered the “Blast Pack” from Tandemkross that includes a part to remove the magazine disconnect.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I learned yesterday that the MKIIIs also have an internal safety lock.

The MKII was an actual upgrade with a last round bolt hold open and allowing the bolt to be retracted with the safety applied.

The MKIII allows easier mag changes and has some neat models, but the nanny additions make it a poor choice in my opinion.

I would rather have a MKII 22-45 if I was worried about tactical mag changes on a plinker.

The MKIV at least simplifies take down.

Andy

P.S. It seems I don't care for the MKIII...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast