Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle Setups for NVGs Sanity check.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    LOL. Thanks for the quote.

Folks, be careful with ALL the covers for the outputs, they do break easy if you pull UP drastically. Basically you want to pull up JUST A BIT and then slide the cover off to the side.

I ran my original I2 without covers for about 7 years and it was always on my main training rifle, tens of thousands of rounds. Never had an issue because the covers were gone.

The only thing I would add is try to set up your device and switch so you can manipulate via either hand. At our NV classes we do a lot of ambidextrous shooting and that always screws up some folks that only have ever shot right handed. You may need to do a shoulder transfer to better use a left handed piece of cover, etc.
    My pleasure, sir. You are one of the most sensible and gracious SMEs on these topics.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    I confess that I am a bit confused about some of the information in your second paragraph. In my lexicon, "passive aiming" means not using an IR light source, so I don't completely understand the first clause, or how that relates to the rest of the sentence. Since I am acting pretty dumb these days (see above), perhaps it's just me.

My use of IR illumination is usually limited to navigation; I want to see where I am looking and the helmet-mounted lower power Vampire does the trick. Otherwise, I am pretty "emcon" oriented and don't participate in a team. I am also a bit leery of using rifle-mounted equipment for identification purposes. Here is a conversation I would not like to have:

Me: I wasn't sure, so I pointed the IR illuminator/light/optic/whatever on my carbine at him to get a better view.
    LEO: So, you pointed your carbine at him?
    I was using passive aiming to mean not using a pointer, not necessarily no emissions at all, since the emphasis is on the aiming part.

If your use of illum is strictly for navigation, then it's much less of an issue, but for those that are using it as part of shooting, the helmet mounted illuminator is going to be subpar. IMO, one should have illum both on the helmet and on the firearm. In urban environments, it'd be pretty tough to get away without a rifle mounted illuminator if trying to do work.

One could fairly easily use the spill of the illuminator to try and PID something without directly pointing a weapon at someone, though you'd obviously have to stress that in your statement.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-18-22 at 10:07.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I was using passive aiming to mean not using a pointer, not necessarily no emissions at all, since the emphasis is on the aiming part.

If your use of illum is strictly for navigation, then it's much less of an issue, but for those that are using it as part of shooting, the helmet mounted illuminator is going to be subpar. IMO, one should have illum both on the helmet and on the firearm. In urban environments, it'd be pretty tough to get away without a rifle mounted illuminator if trying to do work.

One could fairly easily use the spill of the illuminator to try and PID something without directly pointing a weapon at someone, though you'd obviously have to stress that in your statement.
    Thanks for explaining that. I am always looking for better ways to do things, and adding knowledge where my lack of experience shows.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Or better yet say nothing at all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12