Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s Right with the Russian Army?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Oh good, you’re back.

You do realize that it’s looking like Ukraine may not have been exaggerating when they said they’ve pushed the Russians from Kharkiv all the way back to the border right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clueless about that. Been working more on hobby crap and spending less time on world news stuff.

You got links?

I did see video today of the Azov / Ukranian guys (holed up in the Mariupol steel plant tunnels) surrendering and being taken into custody.

The New York Times is coming under heavy criticism for announcing the end of the lengthy Russian siege of the Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol with the below tweet and headline saying Ukraine ended its "combat mission" in Mariupol on Monday. Objectively... they were "evacuated" to Russian-controlled territory, by Russian forces, and the wounded taken to a Russian-controlled hospital.

Breaking News: Ukraine ended its “combat mission” in Mariupol and said fighters were being evacuated, signaling that the battle at a steel plant was over. https://t.co/XWTQLrzzLG
    — The New York Times (@nytimes) May 16, 2022

The "paper of record" managed to completely avoid the reality that some 300 Azov militants surrendered - instead opting to suggest that somehow Ukraine's forces decided to wind down their "combat mission". The headline also emphasized they were "being evacuated".
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ender-azovstal

Yeah, 'Evacuated'.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What’s Right with the Russian Army?

Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Clueless about that. Been working more on hobby crap and spending less time on world news stuff.

You got links?

I did see video today of the Azov / Ukranian guys (holed up in the Mariupol steel plant tunnels) surrendering and being taken into custody.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ender-azovstal

Yeah, 'Evacuated'.
    Then maybe stop talking. It’d be one thing if you were openly admitting being clueless but you continuously either present statements as facts or you just throw snide comments in.

What exactly is your vast experience that allows you to take one article or video and understand the full context?

Last edited by Wake27; 05-18-22 at 00:24.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I'm going to play devil's advocate, I'd say that where Russia was able to modernize, they seem to have done at least an OK job of it. "Seem to" is the important phrase. The Ratnik program presented a modern and professional-looking next-gen infantry, and the same can be said about their armor, air, and rocket force modernization programs as well. This shows they can identify exactly what they want the rest of the world to see the Russian military as, and, even if they don't know how to use the next-gen toys correctly, have identified the components of what that force would need. Unfortunately for them, image projection seems to be the end-all and be-all of their modernization efforts. The AK-12, for instance, was touted as an outstanding weapon, but recently tons of criticism has started coming out about it, from both Russian military sources and American gun tubes. That's not even getting started on the sheer amount of fake equipment being presented, from old steel helmets disguised as modern ones, to egg carton material being packed in ERA boxes.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Unfortunately for them, image projection seems to be the end-all and be-all of their modernization efforts. The AK-12, for instance, was touted as an outstanding weapon, but recently tons of criticism has started coming out about it,.
    The AK 12 really is a bit of a let down. I don’t think its really the improvement I expected over the AK74m and the 100-series guns. It does LOOK more modern, though…

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Then maybe stop talking. It’d be one thing if you were openly admitting being clueless but you continuously either present statements as facts or you just throw snide comments in.

What exactly is your vast experience that allows you to take one article or video and understand the full context?

Pretty sure he washes Putin's balls on the daily. Perhaps he hears things while he does it?

Putin does play golf, right?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score

Does not take a lot of brain power to tell WHO the prisoners are in those video clips.

Searched them and any stuff they had before marching them away to their new 'accommodations' in Russian custody.

As of today the number is up to 959 of them that surrendered from that plant alone in just the last couple of days... Apparently still waiting on a few more to come out (and at some point they will have to).

Can't wait for you to 'explain' (with your vast experience) how their SURRENDER is somehow a victory for them.

Feedback Score
    Apparently still waiting on a few more to come out (and at some point they will have to).

Can't wait for you to 'explain' (with your vast experience) how their SURRENDER is somehow a victory for them.
    They have extra food and water now if they decide not to.

Top commanders at Azovstal haven't surrendered - report

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...endered-report

DAN news agency quoted Pushilin as saying that the hundreds of fighters who had given themselves up did not include any commanders of the highest level. “They have not left (the plant)” as of now, he said.

Russia said on Wednesday that a total of 959 Ukrainian fighters, including 80 wounded, had surrendered from the bunkers and tunnels below Mariupol’s Azovstal steelworks since Monday. (Reporting by Reuters)
    Last edited by FriendlyStranger; 05-19-22 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Does not take a lot of brain power to tell WHO the prisoners are in those video clips.

Searched them and any stuff they had before marching them away to their new 'accommodations' in Russian custody.

As of today the number is up to 959 of them that surrendered from that plant alone in just the last couple of days... Apparently still waiting on a few more to come out (and at some point they will have to).

That was a general comment, not specifically about that video. But that said, a surrender of that amount has to be a blow to the UKR combat power, but it doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a victory. Strategic objectives work that way, they tend to carry risk and loss.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Hey, DG23, this is literally your time to shine. The thread setup so you can talk about how dreamy the Russian army is. Let's hear (non crazy town) what the Russians have actually been effective at. I am sure they have to have done something impressive during this goat rope.

Chime back in if Ukraine gets the Donbass back. (or Crimea)

No, I will not hold my breath waiting for it...
    I guess point one is they finally cleared out that steel plant. I'll give them that.

As far as Zerohedge, (identified as a Russian Shill operation long BEFORE the war)...I see why you like them.

They certainly aren't the first ones to notice that the NYT is a fishwrapper. Still, the headline yesterday was literally "SURRENDER AT MARIUPOL" https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/b...sultPosition=1

Anyway, other than finally, after months of saying it was days away, finally taking Mariupol what do they have going for them?

They do still have more territory then when they started, that's something.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Appears cart is being placed before horse, there were basically there groups at Azovstal, wounded, Ukrainian Marines and Azov, looks likely first two surrendered leaving Azov still there. Reality check, Russia cannot be trusted, they will not follow the Geneva Convention rules regarding Prisoner's of War and any who surrender are subject to torture and possible murder. Hopefully the remainder now have enough food, water and ammo to sustain themselves for a while longer.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-pol...date-no-1.html

More than 1,000 Ukrainian soldiers including senior commanders, remain inside the besieged Azovstal steel plant in the southern port city of Mariupol, says Denis Pushilin, a pro-Russian separatist leader.

Russia says 959 Ukrainian soldiers have surrendered at the plant, including 80 wounded, since Monday.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast