Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Ammunition question

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, I'd probably rethink the light "ballistic tip" loads for the reasons others have mentioned (violent fragment before reaching adequate penetration depth)

I have my current ready mags loaded with XM556FBIT3s (62gr TBBC). Prior to grabbing those, I used the 223 62gr Remington Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded. I also have a fair stash of 5.56 77gr IMI Razor Core OTMs that could be pressed into SD service if needed.

But it all depends upon your usage requirements modulo what's available to buy these days... (the list a couple posts up from this one looks like good recommendations)

Edited to add:
    Looks like SGAmmo currently has stock of 223 55gr Gold Dots in box and case quantities:
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...ection-ammo-24
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...otection-ammo-
    Last edited by kerplode; 05-28-22 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Self Defense Ammunition question

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Coming from ARFtard, that's actually not a terrible set of recommendations.
    Most of that was cited from Doc Roberts (RIP to his membership here).

I haven’t shot it past 50m but at this distances, I was happily surprised that I didn’t notice any POI difference between 77gr FGMM and 75gr FMJ AE (which has also matched 75gr Gold Dot for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-17-22 at 14:05.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We have put a lot of people in the dirt with 55g SP. Our brethren in the county have done with same with 55 grain ball (5.56). Just north of us, they use 55g TRU, and have also had solid real world results.

The question is always going to come up of what the "BEST" is, but I'm not sure there is a single best round. Heavier stuff certainly gets the ooohs and ahhhs, but like I said above, a lot of Gods work has been successfully done with cheaper alternatives.

We are always going to jump in with the barrier penetration questions when we discuss ammo, but I'm looking at barrier penetration as an issue at the Stick Compound, I'll bring 7.62 nato out to play.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Most of that was cited from Doc Roberts (RIP to his membership here).
    Yes, very much so. I wish that whatever issues had come up, that things would have ended different. I've talked to the good Doc via phone multiple times, and he is a good guy.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    We have put a lot of people in the dirt with 55g SP. Our brethren in the county have done with same with 55 grain ball (5.56). Just north of us, they use 55g TRU, and have also had solid real world results.
    Yeah. Guys will talk about lighter stuff like it's some sort of "less than lethal" option. I sure wouldn't want to try to survive a hit from any of the lighter options out there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Guys will talk about lighter stuff like it's some sort of "less than lethal" option. I sure wouldn't want to try to survive a hit from any of the lighter options out there.
    Well, I've witnessed what the blitzking will do. It's not lovely to look upon.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    I doubt one would say with uncertainty... "I think I've been shot"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I doubt one would say with uncertainty... "I think I've been shot"
    Wild hogs surely do not. It tears those hearty suckers a new a-- without argument.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    The problem with the BlitzKing isn't that it's 55 gr, it's that it isn't barrier blind.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It is also nice to have an option of picking up a thousand rounds of something, as opposed to boxing yourself into just filling X amount of magazines. I have mags located all over the place, as well as what I refer as "go bags" just for ammo. If I were only using 77 or 69 grain, there wouldn't be near as many mags preloaded and ready to go.

Once upon a time I was with a department that only allowed one magazine for duty use, and if you were friends with the right people, you could have 40 rounds. What a total load of crap, my squads knew to hit my cruiser as an emergency supply to get armor or ammo.
    Stick

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast