Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Ammunition question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Someone here has probably done this (LE guys I'd guess). I've only shot auto glass once years back, and I didn't have bonded. Everything 5.56 sucked... even M855.

I can't remember where I saw heard that you hold a little low for straight on car windshield shots... but it wasn't some youtuber douchebag or anything. It was a legit source.
    If shooting laminated glass, AP does best, followed by bonded, then monolithics. M855 does not perform noticeably better than M193.

Bullets deflect up when shooting out of a vehicle's front windshield; they deflect down when shooting into the front windshield. How much deflection depends on the angle of impact. Realistically, shooting out a vehicle sucks, due to the fact that the deflection can be massive, due to the fact that it happens at the very beginning of the bullet's flight, and thus impacts the trajectory significantly, hence why folks strongly recommend simply creating a big enough hole to shoot out of without the bullet impacting the windshield at all. On the flip side, shooting into a vehicle through the front isn't such a big deal, since the deflection occurs only at the very end of the trajectory, and thus has much less of an impact on the overall change in POA/POI.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-24-22 at 11:12.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Bullets deflect up when shooting out of a vehicle's front windshield; they deflect down when shooting into the front windshield. How much deflection depends on the angle of impact.
    I think I have my hold backwards for "into" shots. My brain was thinking favor low... which would work anyway on a seated passenger or driver.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you are concerned about auto glass then I wouldnt be running 55gr anything. Even a bonded round will lose 50% or more of its mass after going through auto glass. For barrier blind I would go as heavy as possible. Hence why I like rounds like 75gr Gold Dot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't use anything as light as 55 gr unless we're blowing up grape fruits. Even blaster ammo is at least 62 gr stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    If you are concerned about auto glass then I wouldnt be running 55gr anything. Even a bonded round will lose 50% or more of its mass after going through auto glass. For barrier blind I would go as heavy as possible. Hence why I like rounds like 75gr Gold Dot.
    The Black Hills variant of the 50gr TSX is an exception I’d say. And would be great for those departments still using surplus M16s with 1/12 twist barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Someone here has probably done this (LE guys I'd guess). I've only shot auto glass once years back, and I didn't have bonded. Everything 5.56 sucked... even M855.

I can't remember where I saw heard that you hold a little low for straight on car windshield shots... but it wasn't some youtuber douchebag or anything. It was a legit source.
    When I worked in the St. Louis Metro area, I had access to auto salvage yards that would let me test ammunition on cars and trucks before they were scrapped. I never had the opportunity to shoot bonded ammunition into auto glass or door panels.

I no longer have access to vehicles for testing purposes.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These choices are often more about degrees of better, than good vs bad.

People get waaaaay too focused on weight.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I standardized on Federal XM193. I can use it in any 5.56 AR independent of twist rate. I practice, test, and zero my rifles with the same ammo. If I were to need to borrow ammo, the most common available will be some M193 variant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    These choices are often more about degrees of better, than good vs bad.

People get waaaaay too focused on weight.
    I’m pretty focused on heavier weight bullets, but it’s usually due to higher BCs that are often found with heavier bullets. There are exceptions of course though. And higher BC isn’t always needed, depending on the purpose. But I tend to gravitate towards heavier/higher BC as long as terminal performance meets the use case needs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
    I standardized on Federal XM193. I can use it in any 5.56 AR independent of twist rate. I practice, test, and zero my rifles with the same ammo. If I were to need to borrow ammo, the most common available will be some M193 variant.
    Have you tested any barrier blind 55gr and even other weight barrier blind loads to test your theory?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast