Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 snubby ammo?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am only personally aware of one shooting where a person was shot with 148g HBWC. The Centerville Police Chief's wife took exception to his having a girlfriend, she grabbed a 4" S&W revolver from the nightstand and shot the Chief in the chest six times.
    They were standing 10 feet apart when she shot him. None of the projectiles expanded.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Paul Harrell has a decent set of videos about this.

But even that aside, no non-+p .38 special load will expand from a snub.

+p loads can, but when they do will limit penetration a bit. They will also recoil stoutly in your 12 oz gun and increase the odds of a bullet pull causing a malfunction.

I suggest the 148 gr wadcutter and after that any standard-pressure load that shoots well and has a jacket to avoid bullet pull.

If you decide later you want a snub revolver with a better grip and trigger but still light I suggest a Ruger LCR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I am only personally aware of one shooting where a person was shot with 148g HBWC. The Centerville Police Chief's wife took exception to his having a girlfriend, she grabbed a 4" S&W revolver from the nightstand and shot the Chief in the chest six times.
    They were standing 10 feet apart when she shot him. None of the projectiles expanded.
    And then they both laughed about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I need to hear the rest of that story. Wadcutters don’t expand, so that’s an extraneous detail. They do, however, make very nice, clean holes. Was the Chief still standing when the smoke cleared?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    I need to hear the rest of that story. Wadcutters don’t expand, so that’s an extraneous detail. They do, however, make very nice, clean holes. Was the Chief still standing when the smoke cleared?
    I think he was describing hollow base wadcutters loaded backwards. The idea is that they will mushroom out in tissue. I think that can happen but takes plenty of velocity.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I think he was describing hollow base wadcutters loaded backwards. The idea is that they will mushroom out in tissue. I think that can happen but takes plenty of velocity.
    No. The wadcutters were factory ammunition. The holes were clean cut and the projectiles did not expand. The Chief did not survive the encounter.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    No. The wadcutters were factory ammunition. The holes were clean cut and the projectiles did not expand. The Chief did not survive the encounter.
    Womens be crazy at times...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Womens be crazy at times...
    Yes, they can be. The Chief's wife claimed he was reaching for a handgun and she shot in self defense. The Grand Jury did not indict her.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Here's a good video plus I like the charts from Lucky Gunner as well. Unfortunately right now you kind of have to settle for what you can get as well. https://youtu.be/P3VYlcjH8YI

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to carry the Buffalo Bore 158 grain lead hollowpoint +P load in my 642. I still use it in K frame and larger guns but I've finally admitted my limitations and accepted its just too hot to handle in the 642. I firmly believe at a lead semi wadcutter at 1000fps will do the job, but if the recoil slows me down or makes me miss follow up shots its not worth it. To that end I've got some of the Gold Dot Short Barrel. At the ranges I plan to use a J-frame, I can get more rounds on target faster.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast