Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How easily can a chrome lined crown be damaged? My screw up story inside!

Feedback Score

How easily can a chrome lined crown be damaged? My screw up story inside!

Good evening. I was using an Otis pull through cable to clean my bore. The plastic patch holder stripped out of the end of the cable and the holder was stuck with a patch near the chamber. I ended up grabbing a coated steel cleaning rod from the store. I stuck it through the muzzle and was able to push patch holder out of the chamber. In the process of inserting the rod into the muzzle I think I lightly bumped the crown. Is it possible for the crown to be that easily damaged? Would I see a chip or something if I did? I feel like an idiot and should've tried to find a long wooden dowel or something but it's done. This barrel shoots fantastic(haven't shot since this incident) and the the end of the cleaning rod doesn't look damaged, so I'm probably overreacting, right? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Soloman2; 10-08-23 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    lol, you're fine. if you used a non coated steel rod and was really whacking at it...maybe. but a coated steel rod kissing the edge of the crown??? these are not made out of egg shells and flour. they're hard chrome lined barrels that can take a beating. unless you're seeing literaly gouges out of it, I wouldn't even sweat it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Throw the Otis crap in the trash. It's a feel good charade.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Throw the Otis crap in the trash. It's a feel good charade.
    I'm going to disagree that it's a feel good charade. it's just a cable variant of a patch puller. doesn't matter if it's a rod or a cable, pulling a patch through a bore is pulling a patch through the bore.

I think the difference is "pushing with a tight fitting jag vs. using a patch puller" .... but again, I don't find them a waste. we used them in the military all the time and they were more than acceptable for cleaning.

but yes, for a big deep clean a good single piece rod and a brass jag does the best.

Feedback Score
    I have a new Colt SOCOM bbl that I will clean before I shoot. I'll be at the bench so will use a rod to make sure the hole goes all the way thru, and any debris left from manufacturing gets removed, it will be a long time before it sees a rod again. Otis pull thru after a soaking rain will be about all it will see after that. My Otis stuff is coated steel cable with solid brass fittings, no plastic, none.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    I have a new Colt SOCOM bbl that I will clean before I shoot. I'll be at the bench so will use a rod to make sure the hole goes all the way thru, and any debris left from manufacturing gets removed, it will be a long time before it sees a rod again. Otis pull thru after a soaking rain will be about all it will see after that. My Otis stuff is coated steel cable with solid brass fittings, no plastic, none.
    Yeah, I haven’t seen plastic. The kits usually come with enough brass doodads to tap a **** up out again, too. They’re very common in military service, and hilariously if you ask the supply goon for more Otis patches, you usually get a new kit or nothing at all, or maybe square patches that may or may not be the right size.

In my own shit, I usually use a Boresnake to get condensate/water or dust out of a bore and leave a trace of CLP for storage, or jags if I’m trying to really clean something with a solvent. I’ve Boresnaked 5 barrels this morning alone.

OP, your crown is probably fine, but modify your cleaning routine before you do **** up your gun, and think more before you try to un**** a stuck patch.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I don't mind polymer Hoppes patch loops instead of brass, but just don't use the proprietary Otis patches with them. the way they wind those things they fit TIGHT in a bore, and probably aided in yanking the polymer patch loop out of the cable. I don't even use the Otis patches at all, just basic .22lr patches with the loop. the otis patches are absolute trash IMO, way too tight and shred too easy.

but to the OP... touching the crown or even lightly scraping the cown isn't the end of the world. wacking at it with an uncoated steel rod over and over again over it's lifespan is the problem. but as other said. I'd modify your cleaning techinque by getting a brass patch loop, and or grabbing a wooden dowel the right size as a just in case. (I keep brass sectional cleaning rods from an ancient .22lr cleaning kit just for this emergency scenario)
    Last edited by msedward43; 10-08-23 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    the otis patches are absolute trash IMO, way too tight and shred too easy.
    The kits used to (a decade or two ago) come with instructions for how to make the patch fit tighter or looser in the bore. If you’re trying to pull one through and it requires muscular strength beyond that of a 90lb teenage girl, STOP.

To further elaborate, you can usually punch out a stuck patch or cartridge case without using a rod that can potentially ass up your crown. Drop a brass doodad down the bore of the disassembled upper and shake it back and forth.
    Last edited by 1168; 10-08-23 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The kits used to (a decade or two ago) come with instructions for how to make the patch fit tighter or looser in the bore.
    they still do. but IMO it was a solution looking for a problem. just get a basic .22lr or .223 patch and call it a day. the whole "one size patch to fit 18 different bore sizes!!" just allows for more problems to arise IMO... but whatever, what do I know. I was just a grunt who chewed crayons and used what we had lol.

as a civvie I still use my Otis kits, I just use caliber specific patches with it instead of the all in wonder otis ones
    Last edited by msedward43; 10-08-23 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msedward43 View Post
    they still do. but IMO it was a solution looking for a problem. just get a basic .22lr or .223 patch and call it a day. the whole "one size patch to fit 18 different bore sizes!!" just allows for more problems to arise IMO... but whatever, what do I know. I was just a grunt who chewed crayons and used what we had lol.

as a civvie I still use my Otis kits, I just use caliber specific patches with it instead of the all in wonder otis ones
    I think that’s totally reasonable, Marine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast