Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred water treatment options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Preferred water treatment options.

Sorry if my search skills are lacking but could not find anything recent.

What are considered the better treatment gadgets available if say you were having to fetch water in 5gal buckets from a run off source as your only drinking option. Many thanks.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Sorry if my search skills are lacking but could not find anything recent.

What are considered the better treatment gadgets available if say you were having to fetch water in 5gal buckets from a run off source as your only drinking option. Many thanks.
    MSR Water filtration is highly rated. Prices vary widely. Generally a pump or gravity filter with a "clean water" bag and a "dirty water" bag. Sawyer also makes good filters. MIOX has its virtues but won't clear up dirty/unfiltered (sediment) water.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 05-21-22 at 20:33.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as I know,

Sawyer stuff has a much longer claimed service life(100,000 gallon or 1,000,000 gallons depending on size) than other filters and are lower cost than other brands.

Freezing isn't likely to be an issue in South Texas, but be aware if it ever does that freezing will damage the guts in them.

The service life of purifiers(removes viruses) is usually lower than filters(do not remove viruses.)

Don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.

Most chemical treatments will kill viruses(and other bugs), but have a dwell time to get there that can depend on water temperature. Combining the filter with a chemical will usually wipe out everything in 30 minutes.

Boiling kills everything(iirc everything is wiped out at 180°). I have only used boiled water for cooking or coffee/other hot drinks, but have read it can have a flat taste that can be corrected by pouring back and forth between containers to aerate it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the Sawyers. They’re small, simple and filter a lot (100,000gallons). I have six off them in different bags. Throw in a Steripen and you’re set.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Filtration can be done any number of ways. Sand filters will remove particles. Learn to filter using what is available.

Boiling or UV treatment is necessary to kill the stuff that can do any real damage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here is a link to the CDC website about making water safe to drink in an emergency.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/eme...ater-safe.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    UV treatment .
    Haven't tried this, but you may have really nailed the answer to OPS question.

https://www.sodis.ch/methode/index_EN.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To filter water its always good to have a few options. MSR makes a water purifier which will remove viruses as well as bacteria. It is available in a pump and gravity. As far as freezing goes not all filters are destroyed by freezing. Most hollow fiber filters can freeze with no damage. Ceramic filters can crack if frozen which will destroy it.

Water and fire are the two most important things for me when out and having a couple close calls. I have a Katadyn Combi which is a pump and good for up to 50,000 liters, a platypus gravity filter with 6 liter clean and dirt bag, sawyer mini, life straw, and water tablets which is just what i carry. I also have a bunch of Sawyers for other packs and will be picking up the MSR guardian for my old ladies pack.

I always want to have a way to filter water regardless of what happens. The lifestraw I wear around my neck in case all else is lost. I also carry the means to store a lot of water so when out for long trips if water sources are not prevalent I can fill up and go days between fills. My biggest bladder is 20 liters and it folds down to nothing. There's a couple companies making nice bladders that can cary4-6 liters or more and when stored there the size of a softball.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have had them all still have them but I fully switched to the grayl geopress - https://grayl.com/collections/geopress-filter-purifier
    nawai

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I have had them all still have them but I fully switched to the grayl geopress - https://grayl.com/collections/geopress-filter-purifier
    Those are nice and easy to use but seem to be maybe only for day trips where you know water sources are plentiful. Do you have anything else to carry water?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast