Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Preferred water treatment options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    How would one go about testing a creek on the property to determine if it can be made potable through the right filtration? I've got one running through the property and have a Sawyer filter as a back-up option but would like to determine if the water can even be filtered enough to be drinkable (i.e. no heavy metals from farm run-off, for example).
    I would first check with your local & state agencies, often even small waterways are tested annually and the results posted on various sources. Many enviro type groups, universities, etc, also log such data at regular intervals. After that I would just use one of the many testing labs, you just order the kit and they provide everything needed to properly take samples and send them back. You usually get the results in about a week. They will be far more accurate and detailed than buying a bunch of DIY kits for all the various contaminates you would want to know about, plus price will be quite similar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How would one go about testing a creek on the property to determine if it can be made potable through the right filtration? I've got one running through the property and have a Sawyer filter as a back-up option but would like to determine if the water can even be filtered enough to be drinkable (i.e. no heavy metals from farm run-off, for example).
    Also depending on what state and county you live in you may be able to take a water sample to the local water testing plant and get it tested for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty T View Post
    I would first check with your local & state agencies, often even small waterways are tested annually and the results posted on various sources. Many enviro type groups, universities, etc, also log such data at regular intervals. After that I would just use one of the many testing labs, you just order the kit and they provide everything needed to properly take samples and send them back. You usually get the results in about a week. They will be far more accurate and detailed than buying a bunch of DIY kits for all the various contaminates you would want to know about, plus price will be quite similar.
    Hey I’m just surprised you didn’t say to just get a berkey and don’t worry about testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    Also depending on what state and county you live in you may be able to take a water sample to the local water testing plant and get it tested for free.

Hey I’m just surprised you didn’t say to just get a berkey and don’t worry about testing.

Thank you both, I will check out the different options!

I didn't know water filters could be a point of contention. It's amazing what people will argue over.
    Last edited by ChrisM516; 06-24-22 at 10:03. Reason: Punctuation

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    I'm surprised you're still so triggered

Feedback Score
    I didn't know water filters could be a point of contention. It's amazing what people will argue over.
    No contention on my end... that might be because I have actual experience with these items instead of just Googling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No problems with the filters just the use of the word simple and a lazy boredom on my part.

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345