Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred water treatment options.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    Those are nice and easy to use but seem to be maybe only for day trips where you know water sources are plentiful. Do you have anything else to carry water?
    Yes, I carry a titanium nalgene bottle where in case of an emergency I could boil water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I have had them all still have them but I fully switched to the grayl geopress - https://grayl.com/collections/geopress-filter-purifier
    Those are cool, one of the guys on a BSA trip had one. Only issue to me is a fairly low service life.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Filters are efficient, at a cost.

Boiling is perhaps the most effective method, but takes a stove, fuel, and time.

Bleach or water purification tablets have been neglected but were issued to every field soldier in Vietnam where water could be all around you. The little pocket on the side of the canteen pouch (both 1- and 2-quarts) held a spare bottle, while we would hundred-mile-an-hour tape a bottle to the canteen cap strap. You don't see that done any more because Vietnam experience is dying off and soldiers now get bottled water or water in plastic 5-gallon cans muled to them everywhere (slaves to roads).

Water tablet or bleach-treated water tastes and smells bad, and is why the army puts water-flavor or drink packets in your meal (C-ration, LRRP, MRE) pouches.

Obviously you need clean water to survive. If you get long-duration flukes or gut parasites you can get the shits, dehydrate, and die fairly quickly in the tropics, surrounded by water.

One of the simplest filter concepts I ever saw was pushed for 3d world countries -- large jars made of volcanic lava rock made to naturally (but slowly) filter and clarify water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Filters are efficient, at a cost.

Boiling is perhaps the most effective method, but takes a stove, fuel, and time.

Bleach or water purification tablets have been neglected but were issued to every field soldier in Vietnam where water could be all around you. The little pocket on the side of the canteen pouch (both 1- and 2-quarts) held a spare bottle, while we would hundred-mile-an-hour tape a bottle to the canteen cap strap. You don't see that done any more because Vietnam experience is dying off and soldiers now get bottled water or water in plastic 5-gallon cans muled to them everywhere (slaves to roads).

Water tablet or bleach-treated water tastes and smells bad, and is why the army puts water-flavor or drink packets in your meal (C-ration, LRRP, MRE) pouches.

Obviously you need clean water to survive. If you get long-duration flukes or gut parasites you can get the shits, dehydrate, and die fairly quickly in the tropics, surrounded by water.

One of the simplest filter concepts I ever saw was pushed for 3d world countries -- large jars made of volcanic lava rock made to naturally (but slowly) filter and clarify water.
    The iodine version of Potable Aqua reminds me of a heavily chlorinated swimming pool. The + version of Potable Aqua comes with a 2nd bottle of ascorbic acid tablets that neutralize the whang so that is part of how the drink mixes make it taste better.

Never tried actual drops of bleach. The 2 brands of chlorine dioxide I have tried(Aquamira and Katadyn) don't impart any flavor I can tell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preferred water treatment options.

None of these need tablets just filter out sediment before hand to prolong flow rate.

Msr purifiers with 10l bag 3000L $260+

Lifestraw mission purifier 6 or 12l bag 4000 gal $120

Aquamira frontier max purifier 120 gal $50

Grayl purifier filter 40 gal $50-$90

AMK rapid pure purifier 25 gal $16-$40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 05-27-22 at 10:00.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    None of these need tablets just filter out sediment before hand to prolong flow rate.

Msr purifiers with 10l bag 3000L $260+

Lifestraw mission purifier 6 or 12l bag 4000 gal $120

Aquamira frontier max purifier 120 gal $50

Grayl purifier filter 40 gal $50-$90

AMK rapid pure purifier 25 gal $16-$40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Lifestraw looks to be the all around better long term choice and more bang for the buck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Sorry if my search skills are lacking but could not find anything recent.

What are considered the better treatment gadgets available if say you were having to fetch water in 5gal buckets from a run off source as your only drinking option. Many thanks.
    My place is on a well and I've never been thrilled with the taste, so I bought a Royal Berkey a few years ago and love it. I only use one of the four filter positions since my well runs clear, and it still fills 3 gallons in an hour, so if you use gunky water you can add filters to speed up the flow if needed. Each filter is good for 3,000 gallons but I still keep a few spares just in case. As for safety... viruses are removed at 99.999% and pathogenic bacteria at 99.9999%

I couldn't recommend it more
    Last edited by Dusty T; 05-30-22 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    The Lifestraw looks to be the all around better long term choice and more bang for the buck.
    Depends on if you have to fill up bladders or filter volumes of water in excess of what you can sip.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Depends on if you have to fill up bladders or filter volumes of water in excess of what you can sip.
    This one, not the original one.

https://lifestraw.com/products/lifes...20371109904495

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Those are a pain in the butt to use, especially for anything longer than temporary, short term use. They are also fiddly, require constant cleaning/back flushing, and are prone to leaking/cross contamination. The OP seemed to be indicating hauling buckets back to home or home base, if that is the case those temp setups are the last thing i would recommend. Berkey is much simpler, easier to use & clean, and can also break down if desired. But best of all they can just be set up and put into every day use, that way if your muni-system goes bad (look at all the boil-water orders, crypto outbreaks and such each year) you are always getting pure water. Then in an emergency you can just bucket fill as needed.

Bonus... If you drink coffee, tea, etc, it reduces the acidity so everything tastes better

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast