Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Preferred water treatment options.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preferred water treatment options.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty T View Post
    Nothing was implied, it was clearly stated...
    Berkey = Simple
    Gravity = Pain in the ass

Whoop De Doo

The pump isn't needed

BTW The Lifestraw not only needs to be "prime for each use" it needs to be "backwashed at least five times"

Again, Whoop De Doo
    Per the Lifestaw manual... "Follow this cleaning procedure as often as possible, minimum twice a day during use"

None of those things are needed

And someone who has used such systems everyday for months on end is telling you, someone who has never used either system, that gravity systems are a fussy complicated mess with tons of downsides including being highly susceptible to cross contamination. But feel free to buy and use whatever you like and learn he hard way.
    [/QUOTE]

Hey I get it berkey water filters are gods greatest blessings to all mankind. I just like having a somewhat healthy discussion.

Once your berkey is assembled, primed and tests preformed or retested if gone for more than 3 days they are one of the best filters out there as long as you don’t live in California or Iowa

I did start off my comparisons while in use off grid.

I didn’t say the pump was needed. I said if using in an off grid situation you would need to have the pump if you wanted access to clean water in less than 8hrs

Even with all the primer and back flushing the lifestraw is ready to go in 5-10 mins.

And sadly you do need their stainless steel container or you wouldn’t have anywhere to put the filters or contain the water that needs to be filtered.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/pages/...up-information
    Needing to perform a red dye test to make sure you didn’t screw up the install sure is simple.

Berkeys daily usage tips
    Recommend to empty the lower chamber completely prior to refilling the upper chamber. Apparently it’s easy to cause an overflow. Could cause some of that cross contamination you were talking about.

One must never set a berkey on its side doesn’t say why though.

Berkeys are a type of gravity filter

In a perfect world first use, filter life not a factor
    portable systems = simple
    Boiling water = simple

In a perfect world daily use with filter life a factor and set up done
    Berkey = simple
    Boiling water = simple
    Portable systems = simple once backflushed

In a non perfect world
    Portable systems = simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 06-13-22 at 13:46.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    The vast majority of hikers that thru-hike the AT, CDT, and PCT use the Sawyer Squeeze screwed onto a SmartWater bottle. Threads match up. Many go with the Sawyer Mini at first but often end up complaining about flow rate. They don't seem to have that issue with the Squeeze. You can't much simpler but like someone said, don't let it freeze and at some point you will need some known clean water to back flush it with. But again, you just need a second SmartWater bottle or any bottle for that matter for the clean water.

This girl has thru-hiked all three trails above plus the Florida Trail and some other trail in Spain or somewhere I forget. Anyway... thousands of miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Agdf1aNVE ---- read second reply comment in this video

Now the other addition people get is a CNOC bag as you can see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAPqbY5uxE

There is one other slightly heavier bag that you can get from REI

https://www.rei.com/product/190151/h...iner-100-fl-oz

The advantage to this is the lid. If you were above water, like a bridge, you could not lower a CNOC bag to the water and have it fill up. With the Hydrapak you could lower it with a piece of dynema and it would fill up.

Several people also like the Platypus system.
    https://www.rei.com/product/866422/p...system-4-liter

If you want to invent your own system and need plastics quick disconnect fittings like you see on bladder systems I can get you some part numbers from USPlastics. I rigged up a Sawyer with some Y fittings and quick disconnects for attaching the syringe etc. Connecting to different things, etc.. You can get the Leur<sp> connectors ( for Sawyer back-flush syringe ), tubing, quick dis-connects with or without shutoffs, etc. all from USPlastics

---edit --- these are the the dis-connects I am talking about. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EURFBKI/ref=emc_b_5_t

Hope that gives you some portable ideas.
    Just saw a post the other day about the PCT a decent amount of hikers that got sick from a water source. Sadly filters like sawyers still need a chemical source of some kind added to the filtered water to kill everything.

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post

Hey I get it berkey water filters are gods greatest blessings to all mankind. I just like having a somewhat healthy discussion.

Once your berkey is assembled, primed and tests preformed or retested if gone for more than 3 days they are one of the best filters out there as long as you don’t live in California or Iowa

I did start off my comparisons while in use off grid.

I didn’t say the pump was needed. I said if using in an off grid situation you would need to have the pump if you wanted access to clean water in less than 8hrs

Even with all the primer and back flushing the lifestraw is ready to go in 5-10 mins.

And sadly you do need their stainless steel container or you wouldn’t have anywhere to put the filters or contain the water that needs to be filtered.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/pages/...up-information
    Needing to perform a red dye test to make sure you didn’t screw up the install sure is simple.

Berkeys daily usage tips
    Recommend to empty the lower chamber completely prior to refilling the upper chamber. Apparently it’s easy to cause an overflow. Could cause some of that cross contamination you were talking about.

One must never set a berkey on its side doesn’t say why though.

Berkeys are a type of gravity filter

In a perfect world first use, filter life not a factor
    portable systems = simple
    Boiling water = simple

In a perfect world daily use with filter life a factor and set up done
    Berkey = simple
    Boiling water = simple
    Portable systems = simple once backflushed

In a non perfect world
    Portable systems = simple
    More pontificating from someone who's never used either system.
    Last edited by Dusty T; 06-15-22 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Thanks gang...I did end up getting the berky for the house & still looking for a more portable unit.

I also got some water storage totes & preserver...figured it was a good idea for both hurricane season & shtf long term storage.

Really appreciate responses.
    Might as well stay in the berkey eco system

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/go-berkey

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More pontificating from someone who's never used either system.
    Considering that you had to keep medication on hand for the people you were guiding on the river because you couldn’t figure out a solution to dirty water. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feedback Score
    Considering that you had to keep medication on hand for the people you were guiding on the river because you couldn’t figure out a solution to dirty water. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I gave you the solution, but it hurt your feelings
    Last edited by Dusty T; 06-18-22 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preferred water treatment options.

I gave you the solution, but it hurt your feelings
    So you decided to use a berkey on your river guide trips then?

Feedback Score
    How would one go about testing a creek on the property to determine if it can be made potable through the right filtration? I've got one running through the property and have a Sawyer filter as a back-up option but would like to determine if the water can even be filtered enough to be drinkable (i.e. no heavy metals from farm run-off, for example).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    How would one go about testing a creek on the property to determine if it can be made potable through the right filtration? I've got one running through the property and have a Sawyer filter as a back-up option but would like to determine if the water can even be filtered enough to be drinkable (i.e. no heavy metals from farm run-off, for example).
    Plenty of water testing kits on Amazon.

Feedback Score
    So you decided to use a berkey on your river guide trips then?
    If that's what it takes to keep triggering you... sure, why not.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast