Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked lower repair?

Feedback Score

Cracked lower repair?

I'm pretty new to ARs, so I wasn't aware that you're not supposed to let the hammer drop on a lower receiver when it's separated from the upper receiver. I had a Geissele trigger which has a stronger hammer spring and a cutout so that it contacts the receiver instead of the bolt catch. I let it drop a few times and I have a crack on my lower receiver now. I'm pretty bummed about this and since this is a Noveske lower, I want to know if it's salvageable. Since it's forged 7075 aluminum, I don't think it's weldable. Alternately, I wonder if something like epoxy would do the trick.
    Last edited by ta0117; 05-24-22 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Got any pics of the damage?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    It's hard to capture on camera but on the forward wall of the receiver where the fire control group cutout is, there is a hairline crack near the left corner.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    I'm pretty new to ARs, so I wasn't aware that you're not supposed to let the hammer drop on a lower receiver when it's separated from the upper receiver. I had a Geissele trigger which has a stronger hammer spring and a cutout so that it contacts the receiver instead of the bolt catch. I let it drop a few times and I have a crack on my lower receiver now. I'm pretty bummed about this and since this is a Noveske lower, I want to know if it's salvageable. Since it's forged 7075 aluminum, I don't think it's weldable. Alternately, I wonder if something like epoxy would do the trick.
    7075 is not considered a weldable alloy . . .

Pics? It may just be a "don't do it again" kind'a thing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Does the bolt catch still move freely?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Does the bolt catch still move freely?
    Bolt catch still moves freely.

Running my fingernails along the front wall I can notice it. Currently the lower seems to function fine.

Also, before this accident, I had this lower cerakoted, so I’m not sure if the crack is even longer and the cerakote is obscuring it.
    Last edited by ta0117; 05-24-22 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Since it's not weldable, I would probably try and clean it real good and try and press some JB weld into. Keep and eye on it. Seems worth a try, it's that or toss it.

Of course there may be some better options I'm not aware of.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If it's functioning correctly I'd not do it again, use the lower as intended and keep an eye on it for signs of change.

Feedback Score
    I was considering JB weld or some kind of epoxy with aluminum powder, but the crack is quite fine and I‘m not sure if I can get the compound in there. It's a Noveske lower, and I had it cerakoted too, so I rather not have to throw it away.

Does that area of the lower receiver normally see a lot of stress?
    Last edited by ta0117; 05-24-22 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You can weld lowers, John Norrell used to weld saw cut demilled M16A1's back together and I have also heard of cloner's having mag wells welded on 80% back ends to get the markings. But unless it's a really special lower it would be cheaper to just replace it.

Here's a link to a Norrell Hydra-Matic By GM Corp. M16A1 weld that sold for $20.5 k in 2020.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/in...-reweld-20500/
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-24-22 at 18:00.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast