Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed new names for Army installations

Feedback Score

Proposed new names for Army installations

Sorry. Don't agree with the whole renaming garbage.

Fort Benning, Ga. — recommended to be renamed Fort Moore, for Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and his wife, Julia. Hal Moore received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War. Julia Moore was an advocate for military families.

Fort Bragg, N.C. — recommended to be renamed Fort Liberty, after the value of liberty.

Fort Gordon, Ga. — recommended to be renamed Fort Eisenhower, after President Dwight Eisenhower, who also served as general of the Army.

Fort A.P. Hill, Va. — recommended to be renamed Fort Walker, after Dr. Mary Walker, the Army’s first female surgeon.

Fort Hood, Tx. — recommended to be renamed Fort Cavazos, after Gen. Richard Cavazos, who received the Distinguished Service Cross for heroism in the Vietnam War

Fort Lee, Va. — recommended to be renamed Fort Gregg-Adams, after Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg and Lt. Col. Charity Adams. Gregg was a key figure in the integration of black soldiers into the Army. Adams was one of the highest ranking female soldiers in World War II.

Fort Pickett, Va. — recommended to be renamed Fort Barfoot, after Tech. Sgt. Van T. Barfoot, a Medal of Honor recipient.

Fort Polk, La. — recommended to be renamed Fort Johnson, after Sgt. William Henry Johnson, a Medal of Honor recipient.

Fort Rucker, Ala. — recommended to be renamed Fort Novosel after Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael J. Novosel Sr., a Medal of Honor recipient.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/penta...-fort-liberty/
    Last edited by Slater; 05-24-22 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    F the motherf'ers trying to erase our history.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Said it before, but I'd be fine with renaming Benning, Bragg, and Hood at the very least. Not because they were Confederate officers, but because they were incredibly incompetent officers. I'd love to see Pershing, Gavin, Ridgeway, etc get the honor.

As for the above names, I'm 50/50. Fine with the MoH recipients, Ike, and Moore. Liberty, and the more social "firsts".... eh, not so much.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Said it before, but I'd be fine with renaming Benning, Bragg, and Hood at the very least. Not because they were Confederate officers, but because they were incredibly incompetent officers. I'd love to see Pershing, Gavin, Ridgeway, etc get the honor.

As for the above names, I'm 50/50. Fine with the MoH recipients, Ike, and Moore. Liberty, and the more social "firsts".... eh, not so much.
    This is exactly where I am.

Fort Bragg really should be named for an 82nd or SF MOH recipient. I would say all renames but one should be for MOH recipients. There is no shortage of MOH recipients of color, if that is a requirement.

I am in favor of naming one base for the first black GO, General Davis, but it needs to be a base with ties to him. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_O._Davis_Sr.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Presumably there are no Air Force, Navy, or Marine installations that meet the criteria?

There's an active duty Navy missile cruiser named USS Chancellorsville, after the Confederate victory in the Civil War. I've heard some talk about that being an issue.
    Last edited by Slater; 05-25-22 at 07:08.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Its not that I’m a fan of old Braxton, so much as renaming posts spends money, man-hours, focus, and trees on something that does not improve our ability to fight a war, and will almost certainly result in confusion inside of some hellish computer thingy. How many people even know the history of these post names?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Presumably there are no Air Force, Navy, or Marine installations that meet the criteria?
    Not yet. At least not until they find something shady in the pasts or some woke history revisionist claims they were racist or something.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I propose FORT TRANNY be a new name. And forget camo. That's so last season. Rainbow colored vehicles, uniforms, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its not that I’m a fan of old Braxton, so much as renaming posts spends money, man-hours, focus, and trees on something that does not improve our ability to fight a war, and will almost certainly result in confusion inside of some hellish computer thingy. How many people even know the history of these post names?
    Me neither. Now these names have been around for decades and are synonymous with the goings ons of these posts. Just saying Bragg, or Benning, Hood or Polk illicits responses and stories from those familiar with them...not the barely understood histories of mostly forgotten rebel generals.

But hey whatever, simple solutions from simple minds

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Virtually none of them. They didn't before and they won't know the next name's history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast