Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrome lining flaking off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Chrome lining flaking off.

This is an unfired 14.7" FN barrel, PSA upper.
    Not just a couple of spots but all throughout the barrel.
    I was checking the gas port alignment, which was fine but it looks like the plating process didn't go right with this one.
    Got an RMA and it's going back, if the replacement looks like this one I'll just get a refund and be done with it.
    Sure don't look like my CL .308 barrel that has around 1,000 rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I agree that doesn't look so good. That's for sure not copper streaking from test fire?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Maybe copper. Maybe not.

Borescopes don’t mean shit. I use mine for funsies, but a barrel that looks like ass can shoot great, and one that looks good can shoot poorly. My favorite thing to do with mine is to look at erosion in worn out barrels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doesn't look like copper fouling.
    Looks thin and flaking, but bore scopes can be misleading.
    It doesn't look like my other one either that's been shot a few times.
    The patches I pulled through it came out pretty clean too.

Short video.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've read here that chrome lining does not flake off like bumper chrome. I tend to agree with 1168. If a barrel shoots, I don't really sweat what it looks like inside within reason.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is not flaking. It is copper fouling. Use a cleaner that dissolves copper and let it sit with it in the bore. I use the foaming bore cleaner and let sit over night.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    Doesn't look like copper fouling.
    Then you have zero clue what Cu fouling looks like. That looks EXACTLY like Cu fouling becuase that is EXACTLY what it is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're right, it's nothing to be concerned about.
    I should have known better.
    When it gets a few rounds through the barrel it will most likely look like my other one.

Sometimes I need to just keep the spaz in a box.
    I am glad I asked though, would have felt like an ass for sending it back for no reason.
    And this is the place to ask those sort of questions as the members here are are pretty knowledgeable on these things.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    That looks EXACTLY like Cu fouling.
    Yeah, I think so, even though the color looks slightly off. But that could be a difference in our scopes/camera/screen. I’ve only ever had one borescope and no professional training with it, so I’m no expert. The pattern certainly looks like copper, though, and its close enough to what I’m used to in color.

I wouldn’t bother trying very hard to clean that, unless it shoots poorly. Thats not a lot of copper, IMO. Getting it cleaner than that is in the realm of diminishing returns.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's a rifle barrel. They start to wear with the first round you fire. It contains a huge amount of heat and pressure.

Why are you worried about it? It's not a match barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast