Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrome lining flaking off.

Feedback Score
    Steel isnt brown. If that was rust from bare spots, you should be able to remove it easily and retake the pics and both areas would be silver/gray.

As Mark alluded to, decorative chrome can flake due to the copper plating underneath (this is why ammoia-based cleaners destroy chrome faucets and such).

Industrial hard-chrome is bonded directly to the steel. Flaking would be from oils or oxides being on the steel as it entered the plating phase of the process. Its ussually big areas and you can see the cause of the failed adhesion... ussually.

Feedback Score
    I also thought it was copper fouling -but could I ask which bore scope you use?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I also thought it was copper fouling -but could I ask which bore scope you use?
    I picked up a $50 Teslong for .22 cal barrels, the ones I have at work are too big but fit a .30 cal.
    The image quality is much better than my others that cost quite a bit more, though I haven't downloaded images from the one to a laptop, just use the screen it has.
    It's main use is finding bolts dropped down the back of an engines gear train and using the magnet on the end to get them back.

Never really looked through a barrel much and getting every spot of copper out has never been a big concern of mine.
    Sometimes I pull a bore snake through but that's about the extent of it.
    I may do it different with the Wilson 18" barrel though. Gotta shoot the thing first.

After watching another video with the same barrel and scope it looks exactly the same and the guy never mentioned any irregularities, just noted how well the lands looked.

But I know more today than I did yesterday so it's all good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've read here that chrome lining does not flake off like bumper chrome. I tend to agree with 1168. If a barrel shoots, I don't really sweat what it looks like inside within reason.
    Hard chromium plating will flake off under the right circumstances.

The usual reason id poor cleaning prior to plating.

In the early days of chrome plating bores (1960s) flaking was a common quality defect.

Feedback Score
    Want headache? Get this scope for the bore Seriously "flaking" doesn't look like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12