Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding nitriding

Feedback Score

Question regarding nitriding

Nitrided barrels seem to be common these days. My understanding is that this process is cheaper than chroming the bore, and is probably fine for most weekend/casual shooters in regards to barrel life.

Does the nitriding process impart any kind of corrosion resistance? Haven't read much about that particular factor.

Feedback Score
    Yes, It's been my understanding that is one of the main benefits of the process.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I won't consider a nitrided barrel right now. We tried one faxon piece of shit, and that was enough to shy me away until there's some great proven track record from a reputable company.

Maybe in 5 years if a good company has had barrels out there with good feedback I might take another lookl
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I won't consider a nitrided barrel right now. We tried one faxon piece of shit, and that was enough to shy me away until there's some great proven track record from a reputable company.

Maybe in 5 years if a good company has had barrels out there with good feedback I might take another lookl
    Id about bet an RC & Moon Pie that there are different..levels...for lack of a better word, of quality from say Faxon/PSA ect, than there would be with say Criterion, or any known good barrel maker. I could be wrong, I dont have access of course or means of proving it.
    My Criterion Hybrid doesnt have enough rounds on it for me to expound upon it.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

Poor accuracy or premature wear?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If the application is done correctly WITH quality components, they are extremely accurate. I had Short Action Customs build a 6.5 CM bolt, had the barrel nitrided and that thing was a hammer. I forget? the barrel manufacturer though. When I spoke with Mark Gordon of SAC, I went 100% with his advice and did a 26.3" barrel based on test data showing it to be the best OAL. I had to sell the rig to fund a portion of my daughters Va Tech tuition, but that was more important. I do recall I ran JBM numbers, zeroed at 100 and went at each yardage to 1200 and scored first round hit on a 8" plate. IIRC it may have been a Kreiger? the initial heat treat of the steel has to be higher that the process or it will ruin the steel as I understand.

I know its a bolt gun, but if you start with good quality and have someone do it correctly, it's ok.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Bore quality still matters.

Nitriding is well proven at this point.

When done properly on a quality barrel, the results are good.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Bore quality still matters.

Nitriding is well proven at this point.

When done properly on a quality barrel, the results are good.
    Given the choice I still wouldn't choose a nitrided barrel over a chrome lined one. YMMV.

Chrome lined > nitrided > non-treated.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Nitrided barrels seem to be common these days. My understanding is that this process is cheaper than chroming the bore, and is probably fine for most weekend/casual shooters in regards to barrel life.

Does the nitriding process impart any kind of corrosion resistance? Haven't read much about that particular factor.
    Which is why you see such an abundance of it these days. I'll pass, unless my only other choice is a non-treated/lined barrel.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast