Thread: What Desert Eagle is more reliable?

Feedback Score

What Desert Eagle is more reliable?

The .44 mag or .50 AE? I've never fired a DE. Interested in getting one for fun.

I read the .44 has to have "just right" ammo. Particulary with bullets, OAL, and charge.

Recoil seems to be like a strong .45 acp load from videos.

As for the .50AE, it should be more reliable due to being a true auto cartridge. But then I read it's more susceptible to user-related malfunction like limp wristing and in practice malfunctions as much as a .44.

Also heard neither are very reliable. If that's the case I'll just skip it. Stoppages are no fun.

How hard is the .50 on hands / wrists / elbows?

I understand the mechanics and how a magnum handgun is handled differently in regards to recoil. (Let it roll, etc.)

My experience with .44 mags has been with revolvers and rifles.

I do reload / handload and understand all bullets need to be jacketed / semi-jacketed in these guns.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-28-22 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm interested in the answers to these questions as well.

I had an old DE in 357 for a while, but I stupidly traded it without having fired it. Stupid. And I instantly regretted it, but whatcha gonna do.

So I'd like to get a modern one. I'm drawn to the 50 'cause it's the 50. But I know that the 44 is probably a "better" choice due to cost and ammo availability. Honestly, either way it'd be a low round count blaster so it might not matter.

Gut feel is that the 50 would probably be more reliable just due to less variation in the ammo. 44 Mag factory is loaded all over the map it seems.

In actuality, grip and "limp wristing" is probably the biggest knob affecting reliability. This is just me spitballin', though. I haven't fired either.

Maybe the answer is to get a 50, then buy an additional upper in 44...

Feedback Score
    I used to occasionally shoot with a guy who owned one. His was in .44 Magnum, and it ran great with ammo it liked. He was a big dude, so he had hands big enough for a proper grip and he was strong so limp wristing wasn’t a thing for him.

If memory serves it liked full power 240gr ammo.

Feedback Score
    If you stiff-wrist/arm a heavy recoiling handgun, it hurts your wrists and elbows. So its best to let it roll.

But if you don't stiff-wrist/arm a DE, it might malfunction. What to do?

Perhaps the lower-recoiling .44 is the way to go. And hold it firm.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Recoil on a .50 isn’t bad; its a very heavy gun. I wouldn’t want to shoot a round of Dot Torture, though. Limp-wristing will result in stoppages. Don’t expect Glock-like reliability.

The grip is freaking huge.

You must own either a Trans-Am with at least one body panel painted in primer or a F250 with a lift kit and aftermarket rims to purchase a Deagle. The counter guy has to check the parking lot, per federal law.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-30-22 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Recoil on a .50 isn’t bad; its a very heavy gun. I wouldn’t want to shoot a round of Dot Torture, though. Limp-wristing will result in stoppages. Don’t expect Glock-like reliability.

The grip is freaking huge.

You must own either a Trans-Am with at least one body panel painted in primer or a F250 with a lift kit and aftermarket rims to purchase a Deagle. The counter guy has to check the parking lot, per federal law.
    Dang. I only have a nice 5.0L Mustang. All one color. Oh well.