Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My Scalerworks Aimpoint mount busted.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That is another thing I like about the Unity mount, you have your tall mount that still works with standard height BUIS with no need to remove.
    Yeah, thats a good system, IMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Both. In redundancy I trust, all others fail the standard and are for hobbyists.
    Dummy cording shit on doesn’t do **** all for functionality.

You daily driven vehicle is held together with properly torqued fasteners, somehow they magically hold together for 100,000’s of miles without you getting killed in the streets. Maybe you should also dummy cord all the parts to the frame?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Dummy cording shit on doesn’t do **** all for functionality.

You daily driven vehicle is held together with properly torqued fasteners, somehow they magically hold together for 100,000’s of miles without you getting killed in the streets. Maybe you should also dummy cord all the parts to the frame?
    Parts have, in fact, fallen off my truck, lol.

Feedback Score
    Would dummy cords have made any difference though?

Would the dummy cord material on your carbine hold up any better than the fastener material of your sights/mounts/etc?
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 06-02-22 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Parts have, in fact, fallen off my truck, lol.
    Should have tied them down. Monkey ****ers, go.

Feedback Score
    Despite my position that dummy cording an optic to the rifle when the mount is fastened with a well torqued 1/2” nut is not needed, I am going to mock one up anyway.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Would dummy cords have made any difference though?

Would the dummy cord material on your carbine hold up any better than the fastener material of your sights/mounts/etc?
    Professionals tie their shit down because that measure has been effective in the past for preventing loss of optics, lasers, NODs, and flashlights in Florida swamps, and in the snow in Afghanistan. I’m not hating on anyone for not doing so, but its what pros do, and I appreciate mounts that make it easy. You say it does **** all, and I disagree. You’ll note that the PEQ15/LA-5 literally has a grove for this purpose. So did the M3. Larue mounts have a lockwire hole. MAWLs have a hole in their body that happens to fit 550. The latch mechanism on some cans can be lockwired. Some brand Scout bodies lend themselves well to a tiedown.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Should have tied them down. Monkey ****ers, go.
    Where are your NODs, Airborne? Go ahead and elevate your feet if you haven’t been to Mountain Phase. J/K, 25 Monkey****ers done for each missing truck part.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Both. In redundancy I trust, all others fail the standard and are for hobbyists.
    So looking at a T-1, T-2, or Comp M5 I’m not seeing any really truly secure method to dummy cord any of those optics to the mount without interfering with controls on the optics themselves.

A quick mock up of dummy cord to carbine with the Geissele mount is not a problem. I could very easily accomplish that with 550 Cord, stainless steel cable etc. Just make a loop around the center pedestal of the mount and attach the other end to the rail, no big deal. The upper mount and lower mount are both flared out enough that a loop of 550 cord or stainless safety cable can’t slip over either end.

What would the preferred method of dummy cord attachment of the sight though? Most of the micro RDS on the market don’t seem to be designed with that in mind.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Not sure an over the top tie down would work well on a Comp M5. I’m pretty comfortable with the recoil lug in the mount and sight body, and 4 screws with Loctite 242 on them. You’d have to have at least 3 of those screws fail to lose the sight off the mount.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast