Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rail deflection with MFAL's.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Saw the nightfighter handguards and they look pretty good. You know anyone who's used them?
    I don't, but would like to try one.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I'm thinking about snagging one since the price is half what a DD is. If I get one I'll post back up and let you know

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm thinking about snagging one since the price is half what a DD is. If I get one I'll post back up and let you know
    Much appreciated. It definitely looks worth a try.

Feedback Score
    SOLGW M89
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    i don't think i can really add much to this post as i don't have NV so no experience with shift on lasers. I have done test with irons and of the handguards i have used (DD MFR MLOK, BCM QRF, BCM MCMR, Geissele MK8, Geissele Mk14, LT quad, LT LAT, a VLTOR Freedom MLOK). most were 13 or 13.5" but the MCMR was 15", the LAT was 12" and three MK8 (10.5, 13, and 13.5). top choices after zero then load on a bipod and shoot prone were both Larue's, MK8s, vltor freedom rail. next up was the QRF 12 and Mk14. last was the 15' MCMR. i still like the MCMR but that long rail did notice impact shift. I no longer have that handugard on that rifle and wish i did as i did a following test below (that is not scientific but caught my interest when i found the results).

take this with a grain of salt
    at my local gun shop about 6 months ago, they had 3 identical rifles (in barrel length and handguard length) all were mlok
    G super duty 16" barrel 15" mk16 handguard (surefire CTN)
    BCM 16" BFH with 15" mcmr handguard (cant remember what comp it had but it was BCMs)
    DD V7 16" barrel with 15" MFR mlok (DD's flash hider)
    I took them down and with my thumb and index flinger tried to pinch the barrel to the handguard at the shoulder of the MD. not with much pressure as i didn't want to mess up any rifle. to my amazement the GMK16 rail i could almost get it to touch with very little pressure. it felt spongy at the connection with the upper, barrel and barrel nut. the other two i couldn't really budge them at all and i said that BCMs was the winner as i think i moved slightly less than the DD. but it took me several times to figure that out as it was close between those two. Something could of been wrong with that rifle and i kind of think there was.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have found the geissele mk8 to be very stiff and solid.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    SOLGW, Hodge, KAC, LMT monolithic.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Saw the nightfighter handguards and they look pretty good. You know anyone who's used them?
    I've got one built onto an upper sitting about 10' away from me. There isn't much doubt it is a solid rail. That doesn't mean there aren't other solid rails, it simply means this one was designed for the task of which you speak.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I've got one built onto an upper sitting about 10' away from me. There isn't much doubt it is a solid rail. That doesn't mean there aren't other solid rails, it simply means this one was designed for the task of which you speak.
    Great to know.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rails I have personal experience with and can recommend:

Picatinny: DDM4 and Larue. DDM4 is lighter and more expensive. I’m not sure if it could be used as a club or not, but neither of mine show much flex in normal use, or when finger-fooking them. I’ve got a 12” and a 10”. Larue is a brick shithouse and is what I’d most recommend for a Pic rail. Anything that makes it lose zero will kill the laser and/or user. I’ve got an 11”. Both of those rails have similar, but smaller profiles than the RISII (I own a 12”). The Centurion C4 has a very different profile, but is also good and will hold zero and flex very little. I use a middy FSB cutout one. I use 5 uppers with all 4 of these with a LAM and am happy with them. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Graters-2021

MLok: Geissele Mk8 (thicc), KAC URX4 and Larue LAT (Goldilocks), Hodge, SOLGW, and Triarc Wedge-Lok (anorexic). Of these, the one I like most is the URX4. I’ve got a few of these, and one has been used extensively with LAMs. Its a 10.75”, but I’ve used or have every length but the 8.5”. Its probably the lightest handguard that I’d recommend for lasers. The Wedgelock is stout, but there’s not much to hold onto after you mount a light and laser. Dudes that use vert grips or have small hands will like them more than I do. I have a 7”, but it doesn’t really see much use. The G Mk16 handguards are fine on a 11.5” barrel, but skinny like a Wedgelok. I have too little experience with the longer ones to give much advice, but I have a buddy with a 16” Super Duty and a DBAL D2, and he’s happy. He shoots it weekly and its his main squeeze.

SBRs will show less flex than, say, a bipod gun with a skinny 15” handguard. I haven’t tried the new MI one.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast