Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rail deflection with MFAL's.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A similar thread I made a couple months ago.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...g-with-a-laser
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I use the KAC 10.75” rail for my 11.5” barreled upper, a 13” SOLGW M89 rail for my 14.5” barreled upper, a 15” SOLGW M89 rail on my 18” SPR upper. They are all very rigid rails/ handguards that have little flex. I think for my 12.5” barreled upper I am going to try the Ripcord Industries LDR1 11.75” handguard. IMHO, many things including the type of aluminum alloy can affect how rigid and how much flex a free float handguard has. I like to start with a reinforced upper like the BCM MK12 or the VLTOR MUR. I like barrels and uppers receivers that need to be thermally fit together and that have their receiver face lapped to ensure that it’s true. I like handguards that have extra long steel or titanium barrel nuts like the SOLGW, MI Nightfighter Series, Wedgelock, Ripcord Industries, etc. that have less heat transfer than aluminum barrel nuts. The barrel nut threads should be cut correctly and not be to sloppy when screwed onto the upper and have a nice snug fit with the handguard. From the type of aluminum alloy used, the extrusions finished wall thickness along with Mlok cut out placement all play a part in the handguards rigidity. I also like a handguards that have a little larger ID like the KAC URX4 or SOLGW M89, that give a little more clearance around the gas block and Mlok attachments.

ripcordindustries.com
    Last edited by Biggy; 06-06-22 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I use the KAC 10.75” rail for my 11.5” barreled upper, a 13” SOLGW M89 rail for my 14.5” barreled upper, a 15” SOLGW M89 rail on my 18” SPR upper. They are all very rigid rails/ handguards that have little flex. I think for my 12.5” barreled upper I am going to try the Ripcord Industries LDR1 11.75” handguard. IMHO, many things can affect how rigid and how much flex a free float handguard has. I like to start with a reinforced upper like the BCM MK12 or the VLTOR MUR. I like barrels and uppers receivers that need to be thermally fit together and that have their receiver face lapped to ensure that it’s true. I like handguards that have extra long and strong steel or titanium barrel nuts that have less heat transfer than aluminum barrel nuts, like the SOLGW, MI Nightfighter Series, Wedgelock, Ripcord Industries, etc. The barrel nut should have a nice snug fit with the handguard. Rail wall thickness along with Mlok cut out placement also is a factor. I also like a handguards that have a little larger ID like the KAC URX4 or SOLGW M89, that give a little more clearance around the gas block and Mlok attachments.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...GCpcdzn.47hzY-
    Thanks for the link
    nawai

Feedback Score
    I will note that while the Ripcord Industries LDR1 is interesting and checks the right boxes for me to suggest looking at for a handguard for minimal deflection, the Nocturnality report/test is ****ing garbage. They only do n = 1, no statements as to how they assembled each AR (i.e., torque specs), and frankly a ridiculous method of testing that is highly reliant on shooters being consistent from string to string.

A far easier way would be to simply throw the uppers in a vise, zero a laser on a target, and then add weights on the handguard to see the deflection. Super repeatable, minimal human fallibility involved, doesn't even involve ammo. AFAIK, this is what DoD did when they were doing handguard deflection testing, or so I was told.
    Plus ηa change, plus c'est la mκme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Get a NOX35 Thermal scope - then you can get whatever rail you want.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Any one know if the Ripcord Handguard comes with an index pin/hole? I is not mentioned on their site like it was here on this article...

https://attackcopter.com/2021/07/01/...1-rail-series/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Update, ended up going with a midwest industries nightfiter 13 inch handguard, so far so good. I'll be zeroing the laser soon so I'll post another update once I've played around with it. So far versus the geissele mk16 and forward controls rail I have, theres definitely a little less flex as far what I can put on pressure wise with my fingers. Barrel nut fit to upper receiver was excellent, threads were machined very nicely and a snug fit. Rail to barrel nut interface is very tight, took lots of wiggling to get it on. Also the machining as far as how they made the rail to keep it stuff, its freaking thick. They also kept the inside diameter small and didn't remove a lot of material. Outside diameter is on par with most other mlok rails on the market currently. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and help!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Update on midwest nightfighter. So far its been amazingly good to go. Laser zeroed, did some night shooting while slung and barricaded, shots made out to about 125 yards. With my 6'5 250 lb self leaning hard against the rail stacked up against the barricade it was ringing steel all night. For the price point compared to some of the other NVG designed rails, I think its a good buy. For reference, the laser used was an atpial, 13.5 nightfighter handguard mounted on a colt 14.5 upper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123