Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: 6.5C Build finally Complete

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    29,473
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I rolled some additional 6.5 rounds.
    She's a laser at 100 with 123g ELDM, which is the target shown in this video. Still need to work on the load for 147g ELDM as the results were acceptable, not stellar.
    147s took me an eternity to get right... pretty much all loads were a fight, but now we're chuggin along.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    375
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    147s took me an eternity to get right... pretty much all loads were a fight, but now we're chuggin along.
    Keep in mind that Bryan Litz has called out the 147s as bad with BC variation, so your struggles may be the bullet itself, not the load. 143 and 140s were ok though.
    Last edited by B52U; Yesterday at 09:27.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bora Bora
    Posts
    4,520
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Keep in mind that Bryan Litz has called out the 147s as bad with BC variation, so your struggles may be the bullet itself, not the load. 143 and 140s were ok though.
    Interesting and I didn't know that........But doubt I'm seeing that at only 100 yards. MarkM shoots at far longer distances however.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    375
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Interesting and I didn't know that........But doubt I'm seeing that at only 100 yards. MarkM shoots at far longer distances however.
    From personal experience, I have had stellar results at 100 yards with them, but just ok results at 800 to 1000 yards. 143 eldx seems better in my experimentation. Interestingly the same load produces great SDs and groups for both bullets. Using Alpha small rifle primer brass has been the key for good results for me.
    Last edited by B52U; Yesterday at 09:35.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bora Bora
    Posts
    4,520
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    From personal experience, I have had stellar results at 100 yards with them, but just ok results at 800 to 1000 yards. 143 eldx seems better in my experimentation. Interestingly the same load produces great SDs and groups for both bullets.
    Based on this information I'll just use my remaining stock of 147's and look at better options. Will probably still try to get them dialed in at 100, but they're shooting well enough to take game at 100 yards.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    29,473
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. There's a guy here at my work who spoke with the employees at Hornady and their personal favorite bullet is 143gr with 140 a close second.

    At 1300 yards, pretty much every 6.5 is squirrely as hell. Some days you can't miss, and some days you can't buy a hit.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,803
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    At 1300 yards, pretty much every 6.5 is squirrely as hell. Some days you can't miss, and some days you can't buy a hit.
    Is that still the case with something faster like 6.5 PRC?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    7,390
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Interesting and I didn't know that........But doubt I'm seeing that at only 100 yards. MarkM shoots at far longer distances however.
    I find this super interesting as well. It will be interesting if we start to notice this at 1,000+ yards. Good watch out. But 140's have been great in all guns, not true of the heavies.

    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    29,473
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Is that still the case with something faster like 6.5 PRC?
    Never shot one. We've shot a wide variety of 6.5 past 1300 yards over the last year. And there's days where Sellier & Bellot's factory ammo, which needs 3 more mils than a hot ELDM load, will ring the gong like a champ. You just never know what you'll get at that distance on any given day.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •