Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you telling me PSA isn't the same as BCM?

Feedback Score

Are you telling me PSA isn't the same as BCM?

Ok so hear me out, and please help if you can. I am currently working on the selection process for new patrol rifles for our PD. We've gotten T&E samples from a number of manufacturers and have pretty well narrowed it down to FN, Aero/Stag or PSA (built by Wyoming Arms with PSA parts.)

I am running up against some decision makers who seem convinced that an ar15, is an ar15, is an ar15 and for a patrol cop who won't be shooting thousands of rounds a year there isn't any meaningful difference besides price when comparing PSA and FN or any of the other examples. Whichever one looks cool is good enough, and the cheapest gun frees up money for red dots, amd possibly suppressors, etc. I don't have any hard facts beyond the very unhelpful, "everyone knows what I'm saying is right" kind of statement. My boss probably thinks I'm just being a gun snob, the cheapest ar15 I personally own and consider fit for duty is a colt epr, maybe I am just a snob, I don't know.

So, does anyone have anything I could say or present to my bosses to make the point and make it make sense? Or am I making too big a deal and we will be fine with PSA or Aero? We couldn't get a BCM for T&E so I couldn't even get anyone to consider them. If anyone has any others brands to recommend I'm happy to hear that as well.

Thanks for the help,
    -burke

Feedback Score
    Personally, I'd go with Colt 6941s or maybe something from LMT.

FYI, those decision makers should be shown the door and their narrowed down list is crap.

Feedback Score
    While I don't disagree with you, being that I'm not in charge of a damn thing I can't do that. And I do understand the argument, to a point, that the less we spend per rifle the more rifles we can buy. I'd rather give everyone on patrol a good rifle vs giving half of them great rifles. But I don't want to give anyone a shitty rifle. I had more input in the selection of our swat rifles two years ago and we went with a custom set up from Geissele which everyone is really happy with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeB View Post
    Ok so hear me out, and please help if you can. I am currently working on the selection process for new patrol rifles for our PD. We've gotten T&E samples from a number of manufacturers and have pretty well narrowed it down to FN, Aero/Stag or PSA (built by Wyoming Arms with PSA parts.)

I am running up against some decision makers who seem convinced that an ar15, is an ar15, is an ar15 and for a patrol cop who won't be shooting thousands of rounds a year there isn't any meaningful difference besides price when comparing PSA and FN or any of the other examples. Whichever one looks cool is good enough, and the cheapest gun frees up money for red dots, amd possibly suppressors, etc. I don't have any hard facts beyond the very unhelpful, "everyone knows what I'm saying is right" kind of statement. My boss probably thinks I'm just being a gun snob, the cheapest ar15 I personally own and consider fit for duty is a colt epr, maybe I am just a snob, I don't know.

So, does anyone have anything I could say or present to my bosses to make the point and make it make sense? Or am I making too big a deal and we will be fine with PSA or Aero? We couldn't get a BCM for T&E so I couldn't even get anyone to consider them. If anyone has any others brands to recommend I'm happy to hear that as well.

Thanks for the help,
    -burke
    Feel free to contact me via DM or email if you want any help. While I don't claim to be anyone special, I do tend to have pretty solid connections with good people in the industry. I understand what you are going through, and have been there myself with my own department.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Get ahold of Stickman.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    You guys are awesome. PM sent.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don’t have any input on how to convince anyone to buy what I like, but I wrench on a fair amount of LE ARs and your EPR would be my first choice. I just very seldom ever see anything wrong with a Colt 6920.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Maybe something to consider...
    https://sonsoflibertygw.com/duty-use-replacement/
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Thanks for the help,
    -burke
    Did they buy a Glock or a Taurus for duty pistol?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    While I don't disagree with you, being that I'm not in charge of a damn thing I can't do that. And I do understand the argument, to a point, that the less we spend per rifle the more rifles we can buy. I'd rather give everyone on patrol a good rifle vs giving half of them great rifles. But I don't want to give anyone a shitty rifle. I had more input in the selection of our swat rifles two years ago and we went with a custom set up from Geissele which everyone is really happy with.
    In that case, a very slight edge goes to FN I suppose out of the ones on the list.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast