Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5 vs 10.5 Dwell Time?

Feedback Score
    How is the 11.5 has 40% more dwell time than a 10.5 calculated?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just a guess, but gas to muzzle length must be 40% longer thanks to the added overall length.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The whole 10.3"/10.5" number came around because it is the shortest length barrel that can still use a standard FSB and carbine gas system, but they can be finicky. I won't go any shorter than 11.5" in 5.56 due to loss of velocity (terminal performance) and dwell time (operational performance). With a 11.5" vs 10.5" you get 4% increase in length of weapon with a 40% increase in dwell time, which translates to a very small increase in size vs a major increase in reliability.
    I’m not saying this to pick on you or BCM, but it’s just good marketing. The hard truth is that dwell doesn’t matter much at carbine gas length and 40% dwell time makes most people think it runs 40% better. Dwell time is a real concern at the much lower port pressure of rifle gas length.

The problem with carbine gas is that it exposes things like lack of buffer weight, weak extractor springs, damaged or poor magazines, and crazy port sizes. All things that have been figured out and are fixable, but are known even on the 14.5”. The difference from 14.5” all the way down to 10.5” is just very, very marginal if the above things are taken care of.

Feedback Score
    So is there even any difference in the dwell time between an 11.5 vs a 10.5?

If there is a difference how is measured?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dwell time is how long the gas port is under pressure. So from the gas port to the end of the barrel.

If the gas length stays the same, a longer barrel has more dwell. Both the 10.5” and 11.5” use carbine length gas systems, so the 11.5” has more dwell.

My position is that it doesn’t really matter, both can be reliable.

I think you should focus on getting a quality barrel that isn’t known for excessive port sizes first, the length difference second.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Dwell time is how long the gas port is under pressure. So from the gas port to the end of the barrel.

If the gas length stays the same, a longer barrel has more dwell. Both the 10.5” and 11.5” use carbine length gas systems, so the 11.5” has more dwell.

My position is that it doesn’t really matter, both can be reliable.

I think you should focus on getting a quality barrel that isn’t known for excessive port sizes first, the length difference second.
    I'm not in the market for a barrel.

I'm trying to understand the statement Paul Bafonni made and how does one determine the percentage of dwell time the 11.5 has over the 10.5
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, there's obviously a difference between the two.

One way to calculate dwell time:

take the distance from gas port to muzzle and divide by average bullet velocity

The 10.5" has 2.83" and the 11.5" has 3.83"

If you use an average velocity of 2600 fps and 2675 fps (and convert to inches), you'll get approximately

91 microseconds for the 10.5"
    119 microseconds for the 11.5"

That difference is 32% more by our math, and the difference between 10.3 and 11.5 is about 44%, so perhaps the 40% number is close enough to the average of those.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Yes, there's obviously a difference between the two.

One way to calculate dwell time:

take the distance from gas port to muzzle and divide by average bullet velocity

The 10.5" has 2.83" and the 11.5" has 3.83"

If you use an average velocity of 2600 fps and 2675 fps (and convert to inches), you'll get approximately

91 microseconds for the 10.5"
    119 microseconds for the 11.5"

That difference is 32% more by our math, and the difference between 10.3 and 11.5 is about 44%, so perhaps the 40% number is close enough to the average of those.
    Thank you for the calculation.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Keep in mind, one shouldn't focus on a single parameter without considering all the other related parameters.

There is no universally "correct" dwell time.

A better version of that question would be:

"Given a barrel of X length, Y cartridge chamber and Z suppressor use, where should the gas port be located for best performance?"
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Keep in mind, one shouldn't focus on a single parameter without considering all the other related parameters.

There is no universally "correct" dwell time.

A better version of that question would be:

"Given a barrel of X length, Y cartridge chamber and Z suppressor use, where should the gas port be located for best performance?"
    I was mostly trying to understand Paul Baffoni’s statement, if it’s accurate, and how he arrived at it…
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast