Thread: Question regarding cartridge and easy of speed loading

Feedback Score

Question regarding cartridge and easy of speed loading

Yea I messed up the subject heading...

I practice with, though lately rarely carry, a Colt new King Cobra 3 inch.

I noticed it's easier to reload via speed loader than my .327 Ruger LCR snub.

Both are 6 shot but the physically larger .38 / .357 cartridges are just a bit easier / quicker to get in the holes than the LCR w/.32 mag cartridges.

Does this issue extend to .44 caliber guns?

I only have one (HKS) loader (can't find it at the moment) for a Taurus .44 5-shot I have so I can't test this right now.

Is a 5 or 6 shot .44 easier / quicker to speed load than a 6, 7, or 8 shot .38/.357?

Just curious. Obviously cartridge length and bullet shape matters, too.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-03-22 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    I had better performance using the Safariland COMP-2 speed loaders over the HKS ones
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Do the grips get in the way of your speed loader? Sometimes oversized grips can cause an issue when using some speed loaders. If so, it might explain why the LCR seems to be more difficult.

Feedback Score
    Not sure about 44s.
    The issue I see with combining speedloaders and my Model 29 is that my cylinder is still in factory form. The edges of the chambers are still there. I use Comp-Is and it can be finicky about alignment.

My other revolvers have had some form of edge break applied to the chambers so that cartridges will load more easily.
    45s go in very easily (clips).
    38s into an 8-shot go in easily but I can't lob the loaded clip at the cylinder quite like the 45.

Cartridge length is factor as 38s load easier than 357s. Presumably the stubby 45s have an advantage there too.

6-shot K frames reload more easily than 6-shot L frames because flat nosed bullets can stand up on the webs between the chambers instead of dropping in cleanly (almost) every time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Do the grips get in the way of your speed loader? Sometimes oversized grips can cause an issue when using some speed loaders. If so, it might explain why the LCR seems to be more difficult.
    That's a good point. I relieved the grip a little but it could use more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    I had better performance using the Safariland COMP-2 speed loaders over the HKS ones
    I wish there more models of them available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Not sure about 44s.
    The issue I see with combining speedloaders and my Model 29 is that my cylinder is still in factory form. The edges of the chambers are still there. I use Comp-Is and it can be finicky about alignment.

My other revolvers have had some form of edge break applied to the chambers so that cartridges will load more easily.
    38s into an 8-shot go in easily but I can't lob the loaded clip at the cylinder quite like the 45.

Cartridge length is factor as 38s load easier than 357s. Presumably the stubby 45s have an advantage there too.

6-shot K frames reload more easily than 6-shot L frames because flat nosed bullets can stand up on the webs between the chambers instead of dropping in cleanly (almost) every time.
    Great tips! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Not sure about 44s.

Great tips! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    The COMP-2 speed loaders are the way to go. I’ve got several that are around 25 years old that I used in PPC competition that still work great.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    The COMP-2 speed loaders are the way to go. I’ve got several that are around 25 years old that I used in PPC competition that still work great.
    I just got some for my King Cobra after learning the model for K-frames works for it.

They do and they are already faster and simpler to use than my 5-Star brand loaders!