Thread: 7.5 shot distance after impacting ground

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

7.5 shot distance after impacting ground

How far will 7.5 shot go after it hits the dirt (say you are shooting a squirrel on the ground 15 yards away from you)

Will it ricochet like a bullet will? If so, how far?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Interesting question. I don't have an answer, only some info and some speculation.

So you have around 400 1.25gr projectiles. Just fired straight out they fall 5 feet in 110 yards. Anything they touch is going to cause a dramatic loss of energy. Hitting soft dirt or vegetation is probably going to stop them. Hardpack or rock they will likely deflect but they will have very little energy remaining and they won't be going very far. Especially since they may be dented or deformed to some extent.

My suspicion is you have very little to be concerned about, maybe 5-10 yards beyond the point of impact at most. They should not have enough energy to do much damage.

I have to go out of town today, but when I get back I may experiment a little on this. I'm curious now.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Other than possibly damaging a Heifers/humans/dogs eye at 25-50 yds., the 7.5 shot ricochet won't be much of a problem.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.