Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency preparedness and apartment living.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)

Emergency preparedness and apartment living.

Hey Ya'll,

I've been working on building uo my emergency preparedness supplies and unfortunately I'm stuck with apartment living for now so I can't do a lot of the long term preparedness stuff I would like to. For power supplies since a generator would be way too close and would gas me and the kids out, what have some of ya'll done? I've seen the gasless generators like the ego or duracell units. I'm thinking those plus some solar panels to recharge batteries would be the best option. What are some other things ya'll have done to be prepared while mitigated to apartment living?

Feedback Score
    I don't know where you live or the size of the city you reside in. It will be more difficult to live in a city if something occurrs. Do you have any friends or aquaintances that live outside that area? It might be best to find someone to buddy up with. Just a suggestion.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I live on the edge of a very large urban environment so long term plan is definitely getting the hell outta there and I have some friends that live away from the city so we've already discussed that aspect. Any kind of disturbance, civil unrest and we'll be out of the area. But for power outages, etc where evacuating is not necessarily needed is what I'm focusing on now. Especially power, got kids that are still reliant on refrigerated items for various things so power outages pose a problem and they've happened several times in my area recently.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Befriend a nearby homeowner. A conservative church is a good way to meet & make such friends.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If keeping things cold for your kids, consider a quality cooler. You don’t even need a high dollar yeti. We have a couple of Walmarts Ozark brand and we just got back from a week camping trip and kept everything cold for the whole week with the ice packs we put in on day one.

A generator, regardless of fuel source may be underwhelming for your situation, especially if all you get out of it is running your refrigerator or charging devices. Being that your in an apartment, you probably wouldn’t be able to use it to supply heat if needed. I would just keep it simple. Food and water. Being in an apartment, you’re water may still work in a power outage. If not get one of these. It’s a bathtub bladder that holds 100 gallons of water.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer...ps%2C95&sr=8-3

Then just stock up one foods with a long shelf life and something to cook on. I have one of these that work well. Runs on butane or propane.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-Ma...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Bullets, batteries, and first aid items should round off the list. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For lighting...I HIGHLY recommend the UST 60 or 30 Day Lanterns. I have both, for years..they are truly great, with superb battery life.
    They also have PICO Lanterns..small ones that you can give one per child, so they wont be scared at night if the power is out.
    For keeping food cold..I too suggest a couple of quality coolers.
    Also- Ive lived in many apartments and Im telling you now, the number one thing to consider is OPSEC. Being careful to conceal or hide whatever you bring in or out.
    They see you leaving with cased guns...or leaving an empty bigscreen box outside, ect ect..thats an AD for the free shit crowd.
    Many water options out there, filters, pitchers, bottles with filters, ect.
    A few heavy quilts stored away in case heat goes out awhile.
    I also schedule any packages to be delivered when I know Ill be home, so they dont sit outside too long.
    More than you asked, but just what was on my mind.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I definitely appreciate the additional info, thats always a concern if it gets to looting or civil unrest. Whatever tips people off you have nice shit is always a concern. I really wish I could get to a rural part of my state but I'm stuck due to needing to be close to my job and the houses around here are unnafordable on my income, and the cheap houses are smack dab in the middle of sketchville.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    @inkslinger, those water bags look awesome, I'll definitely check them out. I have several filter sources already due to the city water being not the greatest.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Right now..Amazon has a UST 60 Day Lantern for 54% off...its $36 ..I ordered another and its under $40 delivered. Paid almost twice that 7-8 years ago for my first one.
    HIGHLY recommend that lantern at this unheard of price..they are n many places over a $100.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    HIGHLY recommend that lantern at this unheard of price..they are n many places over a $100.
    I don't normally buy D-cells. Have you compared this lantern those using 18650 or 21700 cells? What runtime testing have you done? The IPX4 weather resistance isn't as good as I normally expect for an outdoor product. Have you used it in the rain? Is it made in China like most other lights these days?
    Last edited by Disciple; 06-09-22 at 10:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast