Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency preparedness and apartment living.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I don't normally buy D-cells. Have you compared this lantern those using 18650 or 21700 cells? What runtime testing have you done? The IPX4 weather resistance isn't as good as I normally expect for an outdoor product. Have you used it in the rain? Is it made in China like most other lights these days?
    I have several lanterns..but the very first one I bought was the UST 60 day back in 2014. I have used it many times and can find no fault with it. Has been used outside,& inside during power outages. I given my gf one and I just bought two more, including a smaller 30 day version.
    The origional one still has the first set of D batts I put in it in 2014. Itll fire up right now as long as i need it. I dont have the time, nor inclination to do "tests"..many others have done so online and have vouched for the lights runtimes. Not used it in the rain, why would I? If camping, Id just put it in the hooch with me. It has rubber O rings and will be fine.
    Almost ALL of these lanterns are China made, if there was a choice, that had the quality these do, Id buy it. There aint. Ive found exactly ONE USA made lantern and it isnt worth a damn.
    Buy it or not, dont care. But at $36 its a steal.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljmaunder View Post
    Hey Ya'll,

I've been working on building uo my emergency preparedness supplies and unfortunately I'm stuck with apartment living for now so I can't do a lot of the long term preparedness stuff I would like to. For power supplies since a generator would be way too close and would gas me and the kids out, what have some of ya'll done? I've seen the gasless generators like the ego or duracell units. I'm thinking those plus some solar panels to recharge batteries would be the best option. What are some other things ya'll have done to be prepared while mitigated to apartment living?
    Can't really give a proper answer unless we know what you are trying to "power". If you just want a few lights and to recharge some phones during an outage, a basic Jackery station & solar panel set up would be a good place to start.

I would also add a Berkey filter, you can use it daily right now and it will be ready to go in an emergency. Get the largest one you can afford for storage capacity, but only use one filter to start as it should offer plenty of flow (on muni-water) to keep up with demand. Save the extra filters for long term or emergency use.
    Last edited by Dusty T; 06-09-22 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks Straight Shooter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Thanks Straight Shooter.
    My pleasure. Ive no experience with that 10 Day Lantern, btw.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12