Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Comp m5s

Feedback Score

Aimpoint Comp m5s

For about 650.00 I picked up a blemished optic
    https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=436744

Cant find any big dings or anything. There was a area that looked touched up but I was really looking hard so dunno.

I am just not convinced this optic is worth 1k. Proprietary adjustments, not a biggie, the brightness know has a lot of play between clicks almost like it's getting stripped.
    I am just not impressed for a simple red dot.

There are 6 more at this price currently.
    May get a sig 7 or eotch simple red dot.

Aimpoint is riding the name like trijicon

Feedback Score
    The play in the brightness is by design, to allow for debris. It also allows you to change the brightness setting by simply slapping the dial in the right direction, rather than having to actually grasp the knob.

You call it simple, but simple executed very well and consistently is hard to do. Minimal parallax, excellent battery life, very good light transmission, an extremely durable house, made in the first world (or at least assembled in the first world of primarily first world parts), etc. Who else can claim all of those things? Maybe the SIG Romeo4T?
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-07-22 at 13:28.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    You raise so.e good points, it's far from a 1k red dot. It's... a .. red dot. You have to take the protective cap off just to change the battery, it rubs...
    Yall can spend on what you want.

It's a 1k optic so the tax payers will buy them for the departments.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    You raise so.e good points, it's far from a 1k red dot. It's... a .. red dot. You have to take the protective cap off just to change the battery, it rubs...
    Yall can spend on what you want.

It's a 1k optic so the tax payers will buy them for the departments.
    It's a $1000 optic because it has the pedigree, technology and production quality of the first world. If you prefer to spend fewer dollars on sweat shop communist produced products you feel free. Aimpoint set the standard and invented the technology.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up. I’d been on the fence between an M5 and M5s. The only hold up was cost. So I jumped at this.

I’m going to put in an old 1/3 mount I have to try to get it up there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I’d been on the fence between an M5 and M5s. The only hold up was cost. So I jumped at this.

I’m going to put in an old 1/3 mount I have to try to get it up there.
    The price was doable, no way paying 1k. Aimpoint is top notch, just think this optic isn't anything special for the price, despite the fan bois. There is nothing miraculous for 1k. You can quote tech and such, but it's a simple red dot that have been around for years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    It's a $1000 optic because it has the pedigree, technology and production quality of the first world. If you prefer to spend fewer dollars on sweat shop communist produced products you feel free. Aimpoint set the standard and invented the technology.
    Production quality does not include a battery knob that rubs the lens cover. That's a design flaw. Cmon man! Not saying it's terrible but not perfect.

Feedback Score
    The price was doable, no way paying 1k. Aimpoint is top notch, just think this optic isn't anything special for the price, despite the fan bois. There is nothing miraculous for 1k. You can quote tech and such, but it's a simple red dot that have been around for years.
    Quality costs money. A Daniel Defense rifle over three times the cost of a PSA, despite both notionally having the same basic parts, and the technology has been around for years. Or a Vortex Crossfire, Primary Arms SLx, or UTG vs. an S&B, Hensoldt, or ZCO, they all use the same underlying technology that has been around for decades, yet the pricing differentials are huge.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    For about 650.00 I picked up a blemished optic
    https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=436744

Cant find any big dings or anything. There was a area that looked touched up but I was really looking hard so dunno.

I am just not convinced this optic is worth 1k. Proprietary adjustments, not a biggie, the brightness know has a lot of play between clicks almost like it's getting stripped.
    I am just not impressed for a simple red dot.

There are 6 more at this price currently.
    May get a sig 7 or eotch simple red dot.

Aimpoint is riding the name like trijicon
    You’re not seeing some benefits because at first glance it is indeed a simple red dot.

For starters the brightness adjustments are intentionally made with “slop” to ensure the optic stays on the desired brightness even when the knob is getting banged around or coming into contact with the users other kit. My old Comp M2 has nice crisp short notches between adjustments and it was easy to end up on the wrong notch if the knob got drug across body armor, mag pouches etc when I was kitted up. The Comp M5 series solves that issue.

You’re also looking at a sight body machined from 7075-T6, so the material is tougher for the end user but also tougher on tooling, and more expensive to procure. So some of the price is reflected here.

The front lens cover does have to be removed to change a battery. This happens maybe once a year. If Aimpoint made the battery compartment stick out more they could have avoided this sure, but then the whole package would be larger.

In independent testing the Comp M5 has been shown to have about the least amount of parallax of any red dot sight on the market. Aaron Cowan of Safe Dynamics has a pretty good video on this.

Additionally it has been noted, and I can personally confirm, that users with astigmatism tend to get a cleaner dot with the Comp M5 than many other red dot sights. For my eyes the Comp M5 has noticeably superior optical quality and dot shape than any other red dot sights aside from the Aimpoint T2, with a slight edge going to the Comp M5 (why I bought it). Now this might not be a valuable asset to you if you have no astigmatism, but for a lot of us that do it makes a big difference. I enjoy a nice clean dot, and the Comp M5 gives me one (Finally!). Even those without astigmatism generally find the Comp M5 optical quality to be top of the heap.

I will concede that needing an Aimpoint tool to make sight adjustments is kind of lame, but it’s a red dot sight. Pick a good load, zero it, and then leave it alone until you have to change ammo or lot #. I’ve found that most quality ammo will shoot pretty close to the zero as long as bullet weight and/or velocity is not wildly divergent from what you zero with. So even in a pinch you can probably get away with running ammo you didn’t specifically zero with. At least inside of 200 yards.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Pick a good load, zero it, and then leave it alone until you have to change ammo or lot #. I’ve found that most quality ammo will shoot pretty close to the zero as long as bullet weight and/or velocity is not wildly divergent from what you zero with. So even in a pinch you can probably get away with running ammo you didn’t specifically zero with. At least inside of 200 yards.
    You’re not wrong. Especially if we’re talking minute of man and you find a practice load that matches your go-to load close ‘nuff. I’ve got a LPVO gun z’d for 68gr 5.56, and 55gr Tula is close enough for practice on steel at least to 400. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...CSS&highlight= . I don’t think I’ve touched the zero on my T2/3x Mag gun since I first shot it.

As to the OP, I can’t say if the Comp M5s is “worth it”, but I have one on my issue gun and love it. I intend to buy used ones to gradually replace my T2s in front-line service. Its an excellent sight. I’ve been holding off on grabbing one because I was hoping to try out that BDC dial one that doesn’t seem to exist.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast