Thread: Figuring out a light(er) magnifier setup

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Figuring out a light(er) magnifier setup

When I started working on "utility carbines" last fall, I did my typical dumb thing and went quickly into the deep end. I did my research, looked for a high-quality magnifier with a decent eye relief and a bomb-proof reputation, and wound up with an Aimpoint T2, an Aimpoint 3x Mag-1 (2.75" eye relief), and put them on Unity FAST mounts. The whole combo weighs almost 20 oz. and, when put on a 14.5" Noveske upper as part of a complete carbine, have a beast that weighs 8.2 [edited from 8.7, my goof] lbs. Now, that's not a particularly heavy carbine, but it ain't lightweight either; I have yet to add other stuff, except for a 3 oz. light. It feels like stone soup: how could a sighting system based on a T2 weigh that much? Well, I managed to do it.

I am looking for a worthwhile red dot-magnifier combo that won't send me down the same road. I looked at the shelf of red dots not being used, and have another T2, or, a Holosun AEMS. I think I am going to use the Holosun, throw it on an American Defense mount (either absolute or lower 1/3) and then find an appropriate magnifier.

Here are some choices:

Trijicon 3x magnifier: good eye relief, but Chicomm (I don't like the idea of giving them any money); several people have reported that the swing mount whacks into virtually every rear BUIS (even a Magpul Pro), but I figure a 0.5" riser will cure that (I don't care about actually cowitnessing the BUIS irons); has good optics, reportedly.

Vortex Micro 3x: eye relief is almost is good as Trijicon's; optics are OK, but I have never been a huge fan of Vortex optics; great warranty; apparently, does not have the problem with BUIS interference.

Eotech G33/G43: eye relief is 2.2", a nonstarter; also, almost as heavy as the Aimpoint 3x Mag-1.

I gotta say, the Aimpoint 3x Mag-1 is a really good magnifier; between its length and longish eye relief, putting it in front of a BUIS is not a problem or a strain to get into the proper eyebox; and, I would buy it again; but, the object here is to cut down on some weight, and the damn thing weighs 8.1 oz. without a mount.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Amicus; 06-08-22 at 10:44. Reason: Wrong number
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Vortex Micro 3x: eye relief is almost is good as Trijicon's; optics are OK, but I have never been a huge fan of Vortex optics; great warranty; apparently, does not have the problem with BUIS interference
    Had mine for about a year and liking it. It will not work with a MATECH rear.

Not sure about Holosun magnifier proportions in relation to buis. The standard one is on the chunky side, but the titanium model is a little lighter.